• In the Spotlight:

Should I call my OB or not?

I have found a lot of discharge in my underwear today. It was more than i normally see. In the past two days the Braxton hicks have started. I am only 26 weeks, should i call my doctor or is this just normal... as you can see i am new to all this!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:18 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• if in doubt, call your OB. Is it possible the discharge could be a yeast infection? these are very popular in pregnancy... Good Luck!
    onyourterms

Answer by onyourterms at 3:21 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• It depends on the discharge I think. If it is clear and smells sweet - indicators of amniotic fluid - then I would first call the doctor and let him/her know, but give yourself a day of hydration and relaxing before going in. Leaking fluid isn't always a bad thing. Your body replenishes the fluid throughout the day so it is usually making up for what is leaking. If after a day of resting and hydrating you still notice this discharge then call again to be seen. Your doctor will likely test to see if it is indeed fluid and then will likely send you for a non-stress test. Chances are you will be given some sort of bed rest. What is probably the most important though is a) increasing your fluid, b) increasing vitamin c (to help control bacteria and such) and c) keeping anything and everything out of your vagina. Over time the body *usually* repairs small tears and you will probably notice the leak go away.
    Lilbeamercomin

Answer by Lilbeamercomin at 4:18 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Forgot to mention that if it is a thick white discharge that is is completely normal. From week 34 on I had a heavy thick white discharge and was told a few different times that it was very normal. One of my midwives thought it could be the bodys way of creating an extra barrier keeping germs/sperm away from the cervix.
    Lilbeamercomin

Answer by Lilbeamercomin at 4:21 PM on Mar. 30, 2009