When visiting long distance family do you expect to stay in their home?

Let's say, you aren't very close and they invited themselves. Do they stay in your home or at a hotel?

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 3:30 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Not if I can help it! FIsh and family smell in three days!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 5:36 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• It depends. I call ahead and ask if they have room for us. If not I have no problem staying at a hotel. However if I just werent close to them and they wanted to stay I would still let them. I would see it as an opportunity to become closer.
    It really save hundreds of dollars to not have to stay at a hotel so i would say in most cases its great to let family stay with you.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:34 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• If it was relatives with whom I was not close, I'd not invite myself in the first place! If I was going to be in their town for some other reason, I would call them and let them know, in order to make arrangements for a visit. If they were kind enough to offer, I would consider staying with them, yes. If they did not offer, I would not ask and I would stay at a hotel.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:41 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• If they invited themselves on short notice without asking to stay, they'd better not EXPECT to stay. I may offer, if I feel so inclined, but they'd better arrange something else just in case.

Anonymous

• We do, but then, we are a close family. When we go to TN to see them, we stay at my Mom's one night, DH's family's another night. Same thing when they come up to see us in OH, they stay here. Now, if DH and I want privacy, we rent a hotel room when we go to TN and leave the kids with my mom, since she is always begging us to do that since we only get to see them once a year.
    Kaci_Eden

Answer by Kaci_Eden at 3:43 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• On the flip side...if not-so-close relatives called me to say they were going to be in town, and I had room I would offer them a place to stay. If I didn't have room (which I don't right now) I would ask for them to let me know where they were staying so we could meet and do something.

If they invited themselves to stay at my house, I would probably explain to them that I really don't have room for them to stay with us.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:44 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Well, define "if we had the room" lol... I don't have a guest room, DS has his own room with a toddler bed, DD has her own room with a twin bed. The family that is coming is an older couple who are newly dating (read=they will prob want to have sex)...no kids. We do have a large couch downstairs, but DH's 17YO son is with us that weekend and that's where he sleeps when he visits. We could give up our room and full size bed, but yuck, that seems excessive, no?
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:49 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Can 17YO not sleep on the floor/air mattress in toddler's room?
    Anonymous

• I stay at a hotel unless I'm invited to stay at their home.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 3:56 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• My husband and I are taking a trip to visit his family and I never once asked or expected to stay with any of his relatives until they offered. I would never impose like that and I would hope for the same courtesy out of our relatives.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 3:56 PM on Mar. 30, 2009