when a scratch gets infected....

I got scratched by my client yesterday. It wasnt a big scratch or anything. but I could tell it is infected...then i have noticed a line running from the cut which is on my index finger knuckle to just past my wrist. I think i may have a slight fever too.. My temp under my arm is usually around 97.6 or so. now it's reading 98.3. I know thats not high, but it is a little for me!. Wondering if or when i should be concerned???

dearone07

Asked by dearone07 at 3:32 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Health

• Get to a doctor or e r. My daughter had a similar infection and had to get intravenous antibiotics. Don't delay, go now this is serious!!! Once streaks start down up whichever way from the site of infection it's not good.
    Anonymous

• It's always better to be safe than sorry. Did you clean the scratch with soap and water immediately or even with peroxide? If not, it's totally possible. I think it would be better to get to the doctor just to be on the safe side. Also, have you been using any Neosporin on the cut? People really discredit the benefits of washing and treating even small cuts. Good luck.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 3:54 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I agree that you need to be seen. Go to your doctor or to an ugent care clinic at least. The line that you are seeing is a concern.

Answer by Bmat at 4:32 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• thanks for your answers..i did end up going to the Walgreens clinic..That doctor wouldnt even treat me because of the line. so she sent me to the ER. Got an IV antibiotic and it's much better today...that was scary!
    dearone07

Answer by dearone07 at 8:43 AM on Mar. 31, 2009