Will breastfeeding always be this painful?

My daughter is two weeks old and breastfeeding still kills me. It has gotten slightly better, but is still so painful. I have always wanted to breastfeed and I enjoy it through the pain, but wonder just how much more I could enjoy it if the pain would cease. My daughter refuses to latch without the nipple shield, so I have to use it for every feeding and though it helps her to feed, which is the important part, it still doesn't correct the latching problem completely and I'm left with cracked, sore, bleeding nipples after almost every feeding. I wonder if this will ever go away or if it's just going to stay the way it is forever? If it does stay painful, that's fine, I'm still going to stick with it, but it would be nice if the problem would correct itself at some point.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:35 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yeah, these are all great suggestions.. but it WiLL get better i promise :) i was just telling my good friend the same thing today- her son was just born thursday- just think of the light at the end of the tunnel.. in the mean time i'd also suggest using lansinoh nipple gel after feedings and then putting a warm washcloth over it to help soothe some of the pain. or hydrogel reusable pads (theyre not expensive!) they really help with pain after nursing. congratulations and keep with it, youre almost there! :)
    LishaBee

Answer by LishaBee at 9:50 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Join the Breastfeeding Moms group and ask this question there. They will be able to help you tons because you'll come across more women who have had this problem. Good luck mama!
    Anonymous

• Thank you. I'm only a member of a few local groups, but in this case I think I may just join up for some much needed advice.
    Anonymous

• I remember having the cracking and bleeding problem for about 1 to 1 1/2 weeks. It got better.
    imacafemom

Answer by imacafemom at 3:46 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Generally sore and cracked nipples are caused by an improper latch or even by the positioning of the baby.
    Here are some helpful links:
    Healing sore nipples
    Positioning
    Latching on and Visual Guide to latching on

heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 3:50 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I had the worst pain for the first 6 weeks. The lactation consultant told me my lo was probably latched on wrong, but when she observed she told me it was just fine and should be feeling better soon. But it never did. By my 6 week pp check up my OB checked it out and prescribed "Dr. Jack Newman's All Purpose Nipple Cream" and in less than a day it all cleared up and didn't hurt anymore.

I would suggest calling your OB now and asking him about that, don't be stupid and wait 6 weeks like I did. Those weeks were awful!

Good luck, I'm sorry you're going through this too.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 4:06 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I breastfed my son till he was 13 months old and my lactation consultant always told me that if it hurts then your doing it wrong and she was right. My son would always just try to suck on the nipple part but really his mouth is supposed to go over the whole thing and not just the nipple. Trust me I learned the hard way cause I never wanted to intterupt him while he was eating to adjust him the right way so I would end up being so sore and having to use that nipple cream stuff. We got a hang of it though and it was great, no more pain. You will figure it out, good luck!
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 4:10 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I think you need to figure out her latch... it's not correct if it's that painful.
    I went through 6 weeks of painful breastfeeding because on an improper latch (the shield was actually making it worse... he got lazy and wouldn't open well)
    Once I took him off the shield and corrected his latch (took him off every time until he did it right which can take forever and make your baby mad... but you can't breastfeed when your hurt that bad!)
    One thing I learned was to make sure my nipple pointed at his nose.. it helped get the latch the right way. Kind of how this picture shows http://gabriellenadeau.com/files/latch.jpg
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:11 PM on Mar. 30, 2009