Vitamin supplements in breast fed babies.

do any of you moms give your baby vitamins? I breast feed my 4 month old baby and I take vitamins, but her doc says I have to give her supplements. They put way too much crap in it and I don't really know if she needs it. I read on iVILLAGE that they really don't need it. what do you think/know?

DaryaK

Asked by DaryaK at 3:41 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Unless she has been shown to be deficient then no, there's no need for vitamins.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 3:45 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Unless she is having other problems like an iron deficiency, there is no need for them. Especially if you are eating a healthy diet.

DDry

Answer by DDry at 3:47 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• My baby's doctor told me that I needed to put her on vitamins otherwise she'll get a vitamin d deficiency. I figure I'm feeding her nature's perfect food and if she was supposed to get vitamin d, she would get it. Also, I talked to a nurse who is my mom's friend, and she said that at that age baby's really don't need the vitamin d and it's likely that by giving it to her at an early age, she might have problems later on producing her own vitamin d. If you're taking your vitamins and your baby is health and happy, I wouldn't do it. My baby doesn't take her vitamins at 6 months and the doctor didn't even notice at her last appointment.
    AmberBrat

Answer by AmberBrat at 3:48 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• No, I do not use vitamins for my breast fed child. It's only truly necessary if they are low in iron, confirmed by blood test, and even then, if the child is on solid food, this can be resolved by feeding iron rich foods.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:53 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Yeah, most peds now will suggest vitamin d or iron supplements. However, very small amounts of sunlight provide plenty of vitamin d for baby to thrive and better yet, it's in it's natural form and not a manmade supplement.

As far as the iron goes, like krysta said, it's completely uneccessary unless baby is showing signs and tests positive for iron deficiency.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 4:02 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Never did at all. You only need sun exposure for vit. d, and not even outside. Just in a window when it's cold.

I nursed for 21 months, she didn't get vitamins until she was 18-19 months and then went to chewables. She doesn't eat her veggies like she should, so the vit. help. But when breastmilk was her main source of nutrition, she never received a vitamin at all.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 4:08 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I do, just because I want to make sure he is getting the vitamins he needs. I do breastfeed but my Dr gave me drops to give him.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 4:08 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• If you feel uneasy about it then don't do it. I never gave my lo supplements. Make sure to open up your blinds every day so there's sunlight in your house and that will help with the vitamin D.

julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 4:08 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• thank you guys. that;'s what i thought. I did give her vit yesterday and she had blood in her poop. but today i didn't and she's fine. she got elergy reaction to something in it. She gets' plenty of vit D, we go for a 2 hour walk, weather permited.
    DaryaK

Answer by DaryaK at 4:44 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I gave my bf'd babies a vit D supplement. I live in Canada and we don't get that much sunlight in the winter, and I certainly don't want them near a cold window. It's actually fairly important for adults here to make sure their getting enough vit D, because with all the sunscreen we wear and covering up we don't actually get as much as you'd think.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 4:57 PM on Mar. 30, 2009