• In the Spotlight:

Why do we call God "He"?

I've always wondered this. Is it b/c of the gender roles of the 1500's?

If God has no gender, then technically he encompasses both masculine and feminine traits, right?

Maybe from now on I'm going to refer to God as "she" . . . ;-)

jennijune_21

Asked by jennijune_21 at 3:48 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• i think it has to do w/ the writers of the time. do you think men would believe in something if God was referred to as "she"? of course not...a female...in charge & above men? i would even go as far as to think someone woulda been killed back in the day if they referred to God as "Her".

personally, i do not think God has a gender. what good would that do him? to me God encompasses both male & female spirits. but then i dont believe God is an actual person. i use He for God b/c when i hear someone say She for God i feel like they are just doing it to get attention or be different. its one of those it aint broke, dont fix it, kinda ideas to me.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:20 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• B/c he made Adam in his image. So we know God is a male.
    Anonymous

• Because men felt they were the dominant gender in the days the bible was written.
    Anonymous

• Because in the orginal Hebrew they used a definate MALE pronoun for God and when God was being quoted it was with a MALE pronoun. WAY before the 1500s..LOL

God claims to be MALE.

and, yes, both male and female were created in His image- but He is 'HE"
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 3:53 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Because people have been brainwashed into accepting sexism for "biblical" purposes as God given.
    Anonymous

• nswered at 2:51 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 by: Anonymous
    B/c he made Adam in his image. So we know God is a male.

Ah, but according to Jewish and Muslim legend, God actually created Lilith, a woman, first! If anyone has reference to the actual story in the Torah or the Quran?
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 3:54 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• It doesn't matter, "He" or "She"... since as you say, God is all-encompassing. I won't call God "it"... too impersonal and maybe not respectful enough. You could just always call God "God" or "All" or something like that. I find myself spiritually feminist, and still call God "He" most of the time. It's just a basic way to call "Him" something without having to say "God" all the time. I don't want to use "She", b/c it feels like I'm trying to make a statement using God, and that does not seem right. I totally see where you are coming from though.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 3:54 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I believe that God is a He. I also believe he has a wife though which is why we are created gender specific. I believe you don't hear about his wife because he loves her so much that he doesn't want her to be cursed or denied the way he is.
    mommalady

Answer by mommalady at 4:06 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I've wondered this too. In the first Chapter of Genisis it states, let us make man in OUR image.
    kittie1919104

Answer by kittie1919104 at 4:09 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• He made Eve too.

Answered at 3:51 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 by: Anonymous
    B/c he made Adam in his image. So we know God is a male
    kittie1919104

Answer by kittie1919104 at 4:11 PM on Mar. 30, 2009