Foward Facing Car/booster seat question?

I just got a new foward facing car seat for children 3 and up and over 45 lbs. its taller to protect them. but, all that holds in is the trucks seatbelt? I guess I'm used to the other harness one that keeps them in with the harness on the carseat. I'm confused? is this right? he weighs over the limit...he weighs 45 and is over 3 foot tall...so hes actually too big for the harness one

alc03

Asked by alc03 at 4:10 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Kids' Health

• It sounds like what you have is a booster seat. These are for older kids - who are at least 4yrs. old and 40lbs. at the minimum. It is safer to keep kids harnessed as long as possible - to at least age 5 or 6yrs. They make seats w/ the 5pt. harness that go up to 65lbs. or up to 80lbs. even and can accomodate taller children. I would recomend returning the booster and getting the new Graco Natualis. It's a great seat that harnesses to 65lbs. and then makes a good booster to 100lbs.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 4:46 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I wanted to add that just because these seats say they are okay for age 3 on the box, does not nessisarily mean that they are safe for 3yrs. olds. This is for physical reasons - their bones are not yet strong enough to just use the seatbelt, and also because of maturity. Most 3yrs. olds are not yet mature enough to understand that they must sit up correctly 100% of the time in just a booster w/ seatbelt.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 4:52 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Sounds like you bought a booster instead of a car seat.

If you want him in a harness, I recommend the Apex65. We have had a couple and the boys love them! They harness up to 65lbs and then become a belt positioner booster.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:16 PM on Mar. 30, 2009