Career

Here is a question for all of you working moms. My younger sister-in-law is a senior in high school she starts college next year and is having trouble picking a major. She loves math has contemplated accounting but isn't really thrilled with the idea. Another interest of her's is politics but she doesn't want to be a politician and she fears that a political degree will not be able to give her a steady pay check. Her big issue is, she wants something that will allow her alot of time at home with her kids. Basically she wants something with flexible hours or something she can do form her home. We really need some help! Any suggestions?

AnsleyClaire

Asked by AnsleyClaire at 4:19 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Money & Work

• What working mother doesn't want that? The good thing about college is that the first two years are pretty much the same no matter what major you choose. They are just your basics. Most people don't really know what they want to be when they "grow up." A job that pays well, flexible hours and working from home is a dream for most people. Maybe she could be a math teacher. She could always go back later and get her Master's degree and teach math in college. A general degree like business or management is usually a good thing to do as well. It keeps a lot of possible doors open. The best thing she can do is figure out what will make her really happy, don't worry about the other stuff.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 4:23 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I would tell her to go in to business. I never did "school" and now I'm glad I didn't. I have a successful business with Ameriplan that has enabled us to retire at just 30, sit home and raise our kids... I never could have done that with any JOB... If she really wants to go to school tell her to look in to business careers that will enable her to personally grow. And one day she could be like free like me. That's what it's about in the end. I would never encourage any ambitious person to waist time in school for a career they will work 40 hours a week for 40 years or more... When there are tons of opportunities out there that allow you to work 10 hours a week for 5 years and then retire...
    **Note, I'm doing this anon because I don't want you to think it's an ad. I just think that she should look at alternatives to long term jobs.
    Anonymous

• Accounting works, it does take a lot of hours in the beginning, but it doesn't take long to open your own business and then you can do what you want. My friend raised her kids in the office and they now works with her (grandkids too)
    southernstyle88

Answer by southernstyle88 at 5:50 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Well, I'm a strong believer in a liberal arts education, because it gives you skills that you can apply to any work situation. I majored in history and political science, and I'm a science editor and writer now. I use the skills I learned in college every day. It's not necessarily the content that you learn in college that is important in your job, the the way that you learn to "learn" things, communicate with people both verbally and in written form, analyze information, problem solve, etc. My husband is a college professor, and this is the advice that he gives to his undergraduates. These skills are what make people succeed in their jobs.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 7:29 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I work from home and love the fact that I can be home with my kids and make an income!! Checkout my website www.MomsGoneGreen.biz
    MomsGoneGreen

Answer by MomsGoneGreen at 8:28 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I'm a graphic designer, but I really wish now I would have gone for art education because of the teacher's hours. Is she interested in teaching?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:26 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I would say have her decide her major based on what is in her heart! A major is something to focus on! No matter the major you can get great jobs in almost any field just because you majored in something. She will be more dedicated to school and love what she does when she goes for something that is in her heart than what is not and struggles in it.

As for working at home later while being home with kids what does she want to do when she is home? How will she use the degree to benefit what she sees herself doing in 10 years? What would be a great asset to teach her kids based on what she learned in her education? Taking it to a level of being of service to her children later on if she already knows that is what she wants to do.

All majors are great if you use them down the line. Almost worthless if ignored because your passion and love was not in it! Good luck on choosing. : }
    LegacyKimberley

Answer by LegacyKimberley at 4:25 PM on Mar. 31, 2009