Do any of you tithe the church? If so, how much??

Also, if your church was adding on and was asking all families to make a 3 year commitment to giving the church more money besided tithe to build would you?? How much? We have lots of credit cards and i know there is always room to cut out but i feel like if im not leaving on the street it's not enough "sacrafice". I know this sounds like a bad attitude but i need help on this??! Plz no bashing!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:21 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Our church just had a big remodel 2 years ago but we couldn't afford what they were asking and now we give 40 to 60 a month. You give what you can and that's it.

Anonymous

• I don't go to church anymore but when I did I never tithed, if your going to give money to the church it should be an amount your comfortable with and you should never feel forced.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 4:41 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• We give what we can when we have it. If we did the standard 10%, we would have many bills going unpaid and we don't even have a car payment, a mortgage or any credit card debt. My husband makes very little and we just get by. We can usually give about $20-$40 (that's about 2-3% of our income) a month but that is about all we can give at the moment.

I know people say tithe and God will provide but when you live on so little it is hard to part with 10% knowing that in the end either your children will be hungry, you will be hungry, or some bill is going to have to go unpaid.
    Anonymous

• We tithe 10% of our income. The word "tithe" means a tenth, so that is what we give. For us what has helped is we have always paid 10%, so it is not like we have ever missed it, and we have been blessed so much by following the commandment to pay tithing.
    soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 4:49 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• we always give to God first and He has faithfully blessed us.

We give between 10 annd 15%. Normally around 10% but we give extra when the Church needs a little more help or a there is a family in need oor something.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 4:50 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Tithe is 10% of your income according to the Bible. We tithe 10% and our offering is 5%. The Lord blesses people who follow His commandments. I hear a lot of people say that they can't tithe 10%, but the Lord will bless those who part with it. All that we have is His, and He's just asking for a portion of that back as a testament of our faith in Him, and so the Church has the funds to provide ministries.
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 5:22 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• For the tithe I give 10% of my income according to the bible. When it comes to offering I give what I feel the Lord has put on my heart to give. If I have a dollar in my purse... rather than buying the cup of coffee I'll give it. Sometimes it may be much more... but it's out of my heart and not out of feeling forced. Our pastor has said... if you're giving (not talking the tithe but the offering which is above the tithe) and you're doing it with a bad attitude or grudgingly - then keep it, don't give it.

Give what you feel led to give... and if you're not feeling right about it (not giving it cheerfully etc.) then I would wait and pray about it.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 5:58 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• As Jehovah's Witnesses we don't Tithe we give out of our heart by Voluntary Donations, there is never a plate passed around either we have donation boxes at the back of the Kingdom Hall.The primary purpose of the tithing arrangement under the Law had been to support Israel’s temple and priesthood; consequently the obligation to pay tithes would cease when that Mosaic Law covenant came to an end as fulfilled, through Christ’s death on the torture stake. (Eph 2:15; Col 2:13, 14)Instead of giving fixed, specified amounts to defray congregational expenses, they were to contribute “according to what a person has,” giving “as he has resolved in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.” (2Co 8:12; 9:7)

lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 6:04 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• This is from a study written by Aaron Carlberg:

What is tithing?
    In the Old Testament, God’s people paid no taxes while they were under a theocracy, though
    they did have to pay taxes when they had kings (I Samuel 17:25; II Kings 23:35; Ezekiel 4:13, 20;
    Nehemiah 5:4). At the time of Jesus, the combination of state and religious tax was roughly 40%

Jesus also paid His taxes (Matthew 17:24-27, 22:15-22) and Christians are to do likewise
    (Romans 13:7).
    In addition to taxes, God’s people in the Old Testament had various other tithes (basically
    religious obligations) that are listed below:
    • 10% Funded the Levite priests’ ministry (Numbers 18:21-16, 27:30).
    • 10% Paid for the festivals to build community & celebration (Deuteronomy 12:10-11,
    12:17-18, 14:22-27)
    • 3.3% Helped the poor (Deuteronomy 14:28-29)
    • Additional money was given as gleanings for the p
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 6:36 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Plus, there were occasional additional tithes (i.e. Nehemiah 10:32-33)
    Summary: The total mandatory Old Testament tithe was over 25% of gross income
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 6:37 PM on Mar. 30, 2009