How did you potty train your two year old?

My son is not talking much yet so he cant say potty but he can point but chooses not to. So I have him in big boy underware and I ask him every 20 min. and he goes but then sometimes will go on the carpet instead of signaling to me that he needs to go potty. He likes going potty but I dont know if I should put him back indiapers untill he communicates to me that he needs to go or just keep letting him have accidents. Do you just put your in a diaper and ask them if they need to go every 20 min.? Shoul I start asking every 15 min.? Sorry this is my first child so I could use all the help I can get lol.

LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Asked by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 4:22 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I asked him all the time, and took him when I had to go, he tells me now when he has to go. Good Luck!!!
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 4:25 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I would read this:
    http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1182517/3_Day_Potty_Training
    A woman posted this in the CM "Potty training moms" group -- this is what we did and it worked great with our 19 mo. Good luck.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:34 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• it's different w/ boys & girls. Have dad take him in there EVERY time he pee's. He will sooner than later want to follow in dad's footsteps. This may sound wierd to some people, but it really works if you let your kids watch you go to the bathroom. My daughter was FULLY potty trained at 15 monthes. Just by her watching me pee, she wanted to follow. Eventually i put her potty next to my toilet & we'd go to the bathroom together. I stopped it though once she was fully trained....we no longer go to the bathroom together......LOL!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:58 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I didn't. I waited until they acted ready and for them (so far) that's been three years.

My current 2 year old has recently said he wants to go potty every so often, but he's not consistent, and the last time I tried to push it with one of the older boys it TOTALLY backfired.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:08 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• They also make these liners for the inside of undies in case they have an accident for both sexes. Im pretty sure u can get it at walmart
    AntzMumi430

Answer by AntzMumi430 at 9:00 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I do not like cleaning up the accidents, so I prefer the diapers and asking periodically. Also sometimes it's easier for a child to understand when it's spoken about on their level (i.e. a potty book/DVD etc.) Here are some if you want to check them out.  Click on  Potty Training/Bedwetting on this page http://www.cjkidz.com/parentsgrandparentsteachers.html

momjs

Answer by momjs at 9:17 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• MY son is 18 months old and I am just beginning to research the different methods of potty training. All of the methods I have checked into say not to go back to diapers and in fact say to have your kid help you throw them away ( I would give them away myself since they are expensive) and use the big kid underwear, this is to signal to your child that they are no longer a baby and are indeed a big kid. There are also potty training pants or pull ups you can use. Some of the sites don't recommend the pull ups as they consider them to be a crutch and to just use the training pants. Hope this site helps http://www.pottyscotty.com (1 day method recommended by Dr Sears from the doctors and by Dr Phil).
    2panda7

Answer by 2panda7 at 12:04 PM on Mar. 31, 2009