Going Crazy with this dog!!!

I have a tiny female chihuahua who is 4 months old. i also have a 21 month old daughter and the dog wont stop biting her and all of her toys up. Im going nuts. I tell the dog no and she runs of and in less then 1 second she is back doing it again. I continually say no and she wont listen. I have given her bones and other toys to chew on and she wont!! Help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:26 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Pets

• Get rid of the dog. If the dog is biting your child and/or destroying your property, it's time to get rid of it. Your child's safety is more important. If you have a family pet, you need to feel 100% sure that if you leave the animal and child alone together, nothing bad will happen. Find a new home for this dog.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 4:36 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• catch her and whoop her ass!
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 5:34 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I would recommend enrolling in puppy class immediately. That is if you want to learn techniques to deal with a baby puppy and training it properly. ANY puppy will chew on things (including people) when they are teething and have not been taught bite inhibition. Seriously, please enroll in a puppy class and learn how to manage this pup, if you are not willing to do that, please do find her a more suitable home.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 6:19 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Well, if you're not that attached to the dog then give it away. But if you plan on keeping it then you really have to teach her the "leave It" command. Start by placing one of your baby's toys near the dog and very firmly tell her to leave it. Make sure she is looking at you, try to make eye contact. Keep repeating the command. If she leaves the toy then reward her with what she likes (treat, belly rub). If on the other hand, she goes for the toy, very firmly tell her no, take it away and walk away or ignore your dog. You need to repeat this lots of times. It works on my dog. He's gotten to the point where I can place a treat on his paw and tell him to leave it.
    JazG

Answer by JazG at 6:38 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I feel that he just a puppy and it might be loosing his teeth but tobacco or bitter spray on the things he is chewing. by the way i just open a group called animal help
    bridynme

Answer by bridynme at 7:00 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• It sounds like play biting and not aggression, so I would not tell you to get rid of the dog. If the dog is one of those quick little stinkers that run off before you can get a hold of her, just get a spray bottle and set it to "stream" and squirt her when she is misbehaving. Little dogs especially hate that.
    Anonymous

• Some dogs are harder to train than others. I think yours might be those dogs that will take a lot a time and attention to train. The leave it command sounds like a good plan. You really have to watch the dog and discipline him as much as possible. I make my dogs submit like the dog whisperer where he pins them and makes them stay on the ground. My stubborn dog doesn't like that. Sounds like he has a lot of energy so you might have to walk more often to get that out I have a very active dog and she tends to tone down a lot when I walk her two times a day, jogging her works best. Get your husband to help you and if you don't have the time to train the dog then I think you should find him a good home.
    robibaby

Answer by robibaby at 9:00 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• we got a kid size fishing pole and attached a small stuffed animal to it and when we were wanting to play we'd say "wanna go fishing for a chihuahua"? and he'd go spastic. He loved that game. I think after that, he only wanted that monkey I had tied to the end of the line lol
    When he's biting at her, teach her to say "no!" too, and you say it as well till the puppy understands that it's not okay to bite (watch your furniture, I had one destory a couch, chair and gliding rocking chair in about a week's time).
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 10:06 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Hopefully you were prepared for this before getting the dog. This is a big reason there are so many in shelters. Grab a spray bottle from the dollar store and put white vinegar in it. When the dog does something naughty, spray it. They don't like that taste. Find something the dog likes to chew up...you can take them into PetCo and PetSmart and let them pick something out themselves ;) MMaybe get a small Kong ball and stick some peanut butter in it...keep her busy for awhile. My dad's dog likes to gnaw on socks but they've taught her she can only chew the ones that have knots in them.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:08 PM on Mar. 30, 2009