Should i take him in?

I myself have been sick for some time now and just in the past few days my son has gotten sick. He has a deep cough and sometimes when he coughs he seems like me could throw up or not catch his breathe. I know that they say not to give cold meds to kids under six but would you take them in knowning they might not be able to do anything?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:28 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Call your pedi first.
    Anonymous

• Mine also have the same cold ( 17 mo old) going around i gave them a teaspoon of childrens robitussin it helped them, alsi turned on the humidifier and bought a box of super soft tissues... umm stay back from milk products if he is really mucusy
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 4:32 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• You can run a humidifier and cut back on the dairy... that's all you can do for colds. If he has a fever or if this doesn't go away in a week, then I'd go in. But you can always, in doubt, call and talk to a nurse... they can reassure you if nothing else. I'd avoid the kid's cold meds.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:57 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Thank you for the help. He has had a fever off and on this weekend so we have been pushing the meds for that since he has a history of febrile seizures. And i will try the humidifier thanks!!! I have an appt tomorrow for myself so i will have them just check him over too...thank you all for helping.
    Anonymous

• Elevate the head of his bed.
    Run a humidifier.
    Steam him in the bathroom and suction if he's not able to blow his nose yet.
    Saline nasal drops and suction (if he can't blow his nose)
    Tylenol for discomfort (but you mentioned giving it already for fever)

If the cough is bad enough, have it checked. We are constantly in for lung and ear checks here....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:05 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• My ped told me that I can use a little bit of Vicks, in addition to the suggestions above.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 7:14 PM on Mar. 30, 2009