ask for forgiveness or just forget?

Ok I did something really bad. Honestly it wasn't intentional but I'm not going to say I was completely innocent. I did it to a friend of mine and we havent spoken since March 8. Now I don't have the guts to go up to them and apologize, and even if I did I wouldn't know what to say. I feel horrible and I'm not the type of person to hurt anyone! What should I do?

alismommy2

Asked by alismommy2 at 4:38 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Relationships

• You could write out an apology. You could call. I think the best thing to do it try to reach those people you hurt. None of us are perfect. To not try can be just as bad as what you are now sorry for. I say try, and see what happens.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 4:40 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I don't know what you did, so honestly, it just depends. If it was really really bad, and you value their friendship, then I would apologize.
    dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 4:41 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Sorry doesn't take things away but it does make people feel better. Even if your friend doesn't feel better after hearing it, you will feel better for saying it. It might be easier to write out a long letter. Go over the letter a couple times and be sure you have said everything and said it in a way you like. Then, you can give it to your friend or email it. If you want to actually say it, you could just read the letter. But you need to apologize. You can move on from things if you don't let it go. Apologizing is the best way to do it.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 4:43 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Thanks for the answers. I'm going to try. (gulp)
    alismommy2

Answer by alismommy2 at 4:59 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Yeah, no matter what you've done and regardless of if you think they will forgive you, you should always apologize. That's how I feel. I apologize for every mistake I make, big or small, no matter how hard it is. And I expect the same in return. Apologies don't necessarily cure everything and it certainly doesn't mean they will forgive you but it will make them feel better and it will make you look good character-wise and even if they don't forgive you instantly...they may come around and appreciate your bravery in apologizing. Good luck!
    javila

Answer by javila at 5:04 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Apologize in person if the person will consent to see you. If not then phone. If you write, they may just tear up the letter. Apologies have three parts. One is admitting guilt (I did wrong.) Two is contrition ( I am very sorry.) Three is promising to not repeat it. (I'll do my best to never do that again.)

Answer by Bmat at 5:09 PM on Mar. 30, 2009