when can I start giving my 3 month old over the counter medicine for colds/allergies?

He is formula fed. Seems to have a cough and running nose with watery eyes. Not sure if it is a cold or allergies. He has already had bronchitis when he was 2 months old. And then a viral cold right after that. Now this...I just want to be able to comfort him.

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 4:44 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There are no children's over the counter cold medicine
    Anonymous

• My son is 7 months and I don't think there's anything I can give to him except Tylenol.
    Anonymous

• You can't. Talk to the pedi.
    Anonymous

• Not any time soon. These meds are not recommended for children under 2. (I believe). Call your doctor and ask what he thinks.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 4:48 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Zyrtec is approved for over 6 months. So for now, there is nothing you can do. Keep the doors and windows closed and invest in some good allergen remover air purifiers for your home. You can buy a really nice one at Walmart for under $100. Put one in the room that the baby spends the most time in. If you can, buy one for more than one room. Good luck.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 4:48 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Get some johnsons baby vapor bath wash put two cap full in tube ( his baby tube is fine) run only hot water steam up your bathroom and sit in there on the toilet with him for fifteen minutes then wait a few hours and do it again. atleast twice today and 3-4 times tomorrow it works get.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 4:51 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Use a humidifier in his bedroom and saline drops in the nose. Cold medicines are NOT SAFE for babies.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 5:00 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Babies bodies cannot handle the chemicals in cold medicines. Humidifier and saline drops are best with Tyenol for discomfort. Also, check with your doctor before using the vapor bath. I'm not sure if your son is old enough for that to be a recommended solution. You can loosen congestion with the saline drops and suck it out with an aspirator. That will help a lot with any pressure in his face along with clearer nasal passages. Put him in his swing or carrier to nap. The positioning will enable drainage. Gently incline his crib mattress by putting a book or a crib wedge under it (similar to what you would do for reflux babies) to also help facilitate drainage.

Good luck!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 5:17 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Talk to your doctor but no OTC meds are safe for a baby that age. Many doctors don't even suggest giving OTC cold meds to children because the active ingredients can raise their blood pressure and/or heartrate.
    Anonymous

• Talk to doc. No OTCs are available for under 2. But he may recommend a small dose based on baby's weight. My dd has taken benadryl and zyrtec (both either close to or after 1 year)
    Anonymous