What is the best dog to get?

I want everyones opinions on dogs what is the best breed and why, what do you own yourself

lesliebabl

Asked by lesliebabl at 4:48 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Pets

• Hands down, a Lab! I have had 2 and still have one of them. She is 13yrs. and sweet, calm, follows every command. My son grew up around her and would get in her food bowl while she ate. She has never been anything but wonderful. My other two, mutts, are a handfull!!! LOL
    Skyler11978

Answer by Skyler11978 at 4:51 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• What are your needs and the needs of your family? What setting do you live in? Are you looking for high or low maintenance? Do you have allergies?

I have 2 Golden Retrievers. I also had a lab as a child. They are friendly indoor-outdoor dogs. They are working/hunting type dogs and do not tolerate a sedentary lifestyle. They are loyal and energetic and need a lot of room to roam and run around. They're good with families because they bond with a family rather than just one person in the family like some other dogs, They are not hypo-allergenic, they shed A LOT. They don't require too much grooming except for regular brushing. They do not like severe heat or severe cold weather,
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 5:05 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Small dogs are better to have for children mainly because they always look and act like puppies! Kiddos love that and I would say a very calm dog to have around kids is a papillon
    If its big dogs you like though you can never go wrong with a golden retriever
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 5:37 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• you need to get a dog based on your situation. i have 2 pit/lab mixes that i love but they might be too much for someone else...you should go to a shelter and see which one "adopts" you. :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 5:58 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Honestly it depends on your family and your situation. Different dogs require different families. Some are more active, etc. When I met my husband he had a boston terrier. So after, we lived together for awhile (and his dog had been gone for awhile) I surprised him with a boston terrier pup. I have heard once you have thios breed you are loyal to it like they are to you. When we are ready for another dog it will be a boston too! GOOD LUCK!
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 6:27 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I recommend doing research on the different breeds. Especially when it comes to activity levels. On the breeds you're considering, check out their national club website and learn as much as you can. Also if you can join an online message board for that breed, you will get lots of advice from owners of that breed that you may not read about otherwise. We have two whippets and we absolutely adore them but they definitely aren't for everyone.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:01 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• i own a pit/american bulldog mix...pit is my breed. ive always been fascinated by them and think they're the prettiest dogs.. i dont have anything against small breeds, and i have owned a small breed before, but they're not the best for children. now yes, each dog, no matter what breed, trained properly can be great w children but pits can take alot of pain(kids pulling all over them, poking at them, jumping on them) and in the early days they were bred to protect royalty children. i do want to own a papillion though..they're the cutest small breed dog and my dog loves playing w small dogs and cats for some reason...she gets her ass kicked by them when she could eat them in one chomp..lol..its pretty funny actually
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 9:06 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I have had several chihuahua's which are great if you want a travel companion, someone to cry with you when you're sad, and follow you around everywhere (just like with kids, you can't even go to the bathroom without them following lol
    I also have a German Shepherd and I love him but he wants to be a lap dog and it's a little painful at times if you're not expecting him. They're so smart and loving to the whole family, not to mention very protective. Both of the breeds I have are very protective with our family.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 9:53 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I think it depends on how many and how old your children are, how active your lifestyle is and where you live (like a large home or a small apartment) and how well your family could mesh with a certain breed or mix of breed.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/search.htm

I also disagree with the person who said that small dogs are great for kids. My Shih-Tzu/Pom mix loves my son, but hates other children (they are notoriously not good with kids). I suspect that if he wasn't raised with my son from six weeks, he probably wouldn't be so great with him either. He has a short temper with most kids, mine included.
    feministmama

Answer by feministmama at 10:04 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• my whole life i grew up with german sheppards...they were absolutely awesome dogs!! very good with kids..loyal..awesome..sadly theyve passed on, and now i have a golden retriever, who is AWESOME with my 4yr old girl..she rides him like a horse, and he loves it!! he is very gentle, well-mannered with her, very protective, good guard dog, loyal..i wouldnt trade him for anything!! i also have 2 maltipoo x shihtzus..lol..well..there only puppies (3 months), and were in the middle of potty training them so..cant really say how god thy are yet..hahahaha..they are cute tho!! and good with my daughter..so im sure they'll be fine..lol..but i do reccommend german sheppards or golden retrievers..theyre soo much fun!! and theyre good with kids, and te kids love to train them and see all the tricks they can do..little dogs dont do much..lol..theyre god for snuggling with!! never had a lab.bu always wanted one..next time!! they seem good!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:23 AM on Mar. 31, 2009