Do epis ALWAYS mean catheters?

I am having my 3rd child in July. One of the reasons I've never asked for an epi is that I don't want a urinary catheter. Do they always use one or no?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:01 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I'm pretty sure they do. I mean you're numb from the waist down, can't walk, can't feel anything really, including if you need to pee. It's a catheter or peeing yourself. I had an epi all three times and the catheter was fine. They don't put it in until you're numb and they take it out right away after you give birth, so it's not like you really feel it.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 5:04 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• i only got one used on my 4th child other wise i didnt on my others and yes i had a epi every time
    josalin

Answer by josalin at 5:04 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• u dont even feel the cath
    josalin

Answer by josalin at 5:05 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• No, they call them walking epidurals
    Anonymous

• most of the time, yes. Walking epidurals are a crock. While you may have some mobility, it's still an epidural and can limit your functioning.

You can ask your hospital their policy on cathing w/ an epidural.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 5:14 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I would think so. Just like canadianmom said. You would pee all over yourself if you didn't have one. You don't feel it. That's the reason you need it though. I had it for my first, and I could have sawed my own leg off. You don't feel anything!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:14 PM on Mar. 31, 2009