do muslims practice poligamy, if so why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:31 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Here's my understanding of it...yes, it is allowed if the woman agrees and if the man can support everyone. My husband is Muslim, from Egypt, no one in his family practices polygamy (or would tolerate it, lol.) I personally would divorce him if he wanted to! I asked him about it before we got engaged, he said he personally didn't have any interest in polygamy, and didn't know anyone who did it.

Any Muslimas out there with a better answer? I am not an expert, just married to a muslim guy.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 5:38 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Some do, some don't. Why? Because they feel it is right for them.
    Anonymous

• One of my favorite books deals with this topic. It is a novel called "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Kahleed Houseini (the author of the Kite Runner). It is helpful because you see polygamy from the inside, told from a female point of view. It is one of my top 5 books I have ever read. You will enjoy it.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 5:50 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I have a friend who's husband is Muslim. He cheated on her w/ another woman. Does that count? lol.
    Anonymous

• ANON 7:15 I have a friend who's husband is Muslim. He cheated on her w/ another woman. Does that count? lol.

And how many men of other religions have done the same?
    Anonymous

• In many Latin and Latin-American countries it is customary for a man who can afford it to have a wife and an acknowledeged mistress. I wouldnt presume to say it is because they are Catholics, though many are--it is part of the culture not because of their religion.
    Anonymous

• my husband has been to iraq and some do have multiple wives but he must be able to take care of them all.
    janiere

Answer by janiere at 3:30 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Technically a muslim man is allowed up to 4 wives, if he meets specific criteria like being able to afford them.

However, this practice stemmed from a need to absorb many war widows back in the olden times and have them and their children provided for. In modern times, it is a very uncommon practice. Of the hundreds of muslims I have met, I have only heard of two cases of this. It is more common amongst rich Saudis than among mainstream muslims.
    Gypsyuma

Answer by Gypsyuma at 2:06 PM on Apr. 1, 2009