How much does breast milk affect baby's spitting up?

Hi,
How much does breast milk really affect a baby's tummy? My little one is spitting up quite a lot lately... and I'm trying to figure out if it's me and what I'm eating..
thanks :)

KellyJC

Asked by KellyJC at 6:03 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The only time I noticeablly saw what I ate effect my son was when I ate too hot hot wings. It wasn't pleasant to see him suffer.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 6:09 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• What you're eating can have an effect with spit up. Once my son hit about 3 1/2-4 months, all of the sudden he had spit up a couple times a day. I pinned it down to me using soy milk in my coffee and cereal. I cut it out and he quite spitting up. Once he was 6 months, I gradually added a little back into my diet and he was fine. How old is your baby? How much is your baby spitting up? If it's a lot and it's affecting how much breast milk he/she is keeping down then it's possible that he/she has gerd (relux) and will need some medication until he/she is a little older to where their organs are more developed and can handle what is causing this to happen. Think about what you eat that is constant in your daily diet, and remove it.
    Anonymous

• I thought that breastfed babies didnt spit up as much but mine does, I think it is just the kid. My first spit up all the time (formula fed), second never spit up (breast/formula) and third spits up alot (exclusivly breastfed). So who knows
    lesliebabl

Answer by lesliebabl at 6:37 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• It could very well be something you are eating, try cutting out dairy or gassy foods like broccoli....but, babies just spit up, my son Joe spit up SO bad, I was worried and took him to the doctor and the ped. told me that as long as Joe was still growing and healthy, if he was having plenty of wet diapers then he was fine! He said my laundry bill might be painful but that if I could put up with that, then I didnt have anything to worry about!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 6:40 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• All you can do is pay attention to what your eating & see if anything correlates with his spit up... My dd only spit up 3 times while nursing, but she would get gassy if I ate taco bell. lol. so i had to stop eating taco bell for almost 2 yrs.

If he just started this recently what have you just started eating that you havent in the past? Or have you been eating MORE of something?

MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 6:45 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• thanks.. my daughter is almost 8 weeks old.. ironically, I had thought maybe I should switch to drinking soy milk - and cut out milk.. ? I do eat a good amount of cheese.. and at times spicy food. Good point about her having regular wet diapers and growing .. which I think is all on track..
    Thanks for all your advice!
    KellyJC

Answer by KellyJC at 7:15 PM on Mar. 30, 2009