can you break your own water??

I DONT WANT TO OR ANYTHING IM NOT READY FOR MY LIL GUY TO COME OUT JUST YET......but me and my DH were talking lastnight and asked if it was possible and anytime to just stick something up in you and break your water i told him i thought it was possible i dont see why you couldnt but i told him i think you had to be dialated a lil to be able to. So can you just go up there and break your water if you wanted too???

GraciesMom52407

Asked by GraciesMom52407 at 11:44 AM on Jul. 31, 2008 in Pregnancy

• to the other answers she clearly said she didn't want to do it nor is she ready for her baby yet....... but to the OP yes you can break your own water but you have to be dilated some or your cervix's has to be soft......

Anonymous

• They will do it at the hospital, if necessary, but attempting to do so yourself is unsanitary & dangerous. You could easily injure yourself. Definitely not something to try at home! =)
    KDW211

Answer by KDW211 at 11:48 AM on Jul. 31, 2008

• I agree with pp but it is possible. A girl on WebMd when I was pg stated she clipped her fingernail to a shrp point and broke hers. I dont know if she was lying or not but she said she did. It's not safe to do on your own though. Your body knows what it's doing but sometimes it can be alittle slow about it and the Dr's can do it for you. They say if you don't have your baby within 24 hours after your water breaks infection can set in so it's best to do it with your Dr
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Jul. 31, 2008

• Why on earth any woman would do that is beyond me. I cannot imagine the risk of infection you could expose yourself to. I feel that is something nature or your health care proffesional should take care of. The thought of poking around up there not even knowing what you are doing is just crazy...but that is just me.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:19 PM on Jul. 31, 2008

• Don't worry about this! If it needs to be done, the Dr. will do it during labor. Mine never broke, and I am so thankful because I was told by my Dr. that it helps cushion the contractions. They will break it for you if your labor is not progressing, or right before you deliver. They broke mine right before I delivered, and it is quite a tool. You really want them to do it too because the check the fluid for meconium.

Simonsmama

Answer by Simonsmama at 5:29 PM on Jul. 31, 2008