best breast pump?

im looking into purchasing a breast pump if i am able to breast feed after my son is born.
im curious what kind is best, the manual ones or the electric?
also, single or double?

piercedmomma412

Asked by piercedmomma412 at 6:09 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You will want an electric. I never use the double action pump on mine but some ladies swear but it. I love my Lansinoh pump. Its 1/2 the price of a medea and it works great so far. (I have been back at work for month and half).
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 6:12 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Electric and double. You will want the time saving method of a double, otherwise it will take and extra 15 min. or so that you won't have:) And don't tell yourself "if I can breastfeed," know that you are going to. ;) I recommend breast feeding if you are physically up to it. It's cheaper than spending $600 or so on formula every month, and you will love that cuddle time.
    Anonymous

• I've always found electric to be best but some moms swear by manuals, it all depends on what you like and what works best for you.
    I prefer medela.
    Anonymous

• Electric Medela... I have a single pump (the Medela Swing) and it works great.. however I do regret not getting a double pump .. as I find it hard to get much stored up with the single pump.
    I would recommend a double electric Medela pump..
    KellyJC

Answer by KellyJC at 7:11 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Depends on your need! Working mom? Medela Pump in Style or Ameda Purely Yours. SAHM? AN Avent Isis will fill the bill nicely for an occasional bottle (because when you're with baby you nurse. Trust me on this.)

No Gerber, Evenflo, First Years. SOME moms have been successful with them but the overall track record is too poor.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:02 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• ELECTRIC...for sure....You can also buy a pump that can be either single or double...I normally just used mine as a single but every so often would do double if I needed more. So it is entirely up to you but that would be the route I would take if I were u.
    bmotterbacher

Answer by bmotterbacher at 9:28 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Oh, and I know you got some nursing pads at your shower but you are going to want to get the Johnson Nursing pads for your bra...they are BY FAR the most absorbant and comfortable. The stick very well and work well!
    bmotterbacher

Answer by bmotterbacher at 9:33 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• electric double! and, if youre like most of us, youll want one thats not too pricey? i bought one at either walmart or target- its made by the first years- and its a one handed double electric pump. it was about $50 and it works GREAT, you can still do things with another hand.. i can drive and pump at the same time using an AC adapter in the lighter plug. its amazing!
    LishaBee

Answer by LishaBee at 9:37 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Def. double electric breast pump! I didn't know what brand to get and I didn't want to shell out hundreds of dollars for a pump so the one I got is the 1st years by Learning Curve. I think I paid a little over $50.00 and I've been using it for 9 months now! Its worked great and I've had no problems with it at all I LOVE IT! I'm not sure if all pumps have this option or not but with mine I can pump out of only one side or both which has came in handy when I only needed to pump one breast!
    Madisonsmomma1

Answer by Madisonsmomma1 at 11:14 PM on Mar. 30, 2009