Are you BURNED OUT/RUNDOWN?

Do you feel like you are drowning? I have three kids 5,4,6months(breastfeeding) and a full time job plus extras (wrestling practice). And when I say drowning I mean in laundry, dishes, housework I feel like I put off the important things like bed time stories, tea parties, bike riding for the stuff that doesn't mean as much (chores) I just curious how everyone stays afloat.

lesliebabl

Asked by lesliebabl at 6:22 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• The only way I stay afloat with all 4 of my kids, baseball, track, school plays, doc visits, grocery shopping (I did all that just this week) and keep up with laundry dinner, signing papers, making phone calls, ect..........is to do this full time. I really don't see how moms who have as much going on as I do, work outside the home in a full time job. I have a lot of respect for you. Make sure your taking time for you, even if its only one or two days a month. Good luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 6:30 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Yes, absolutely. We all feel like this but let me just suggest this: Ignore some of the chores a few times a week even though they can be an escape/excuse from being a parent. Your kids will be grown up faster than you think and won't ask for stories, tea parties etc anymore and it'll break your heart and make you feel guilty. Just mentally say, "I am having a tea party for twenty minutes and then reading a book tonight." Do it for them.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:15 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I let the house go...and really only get motivated when I have company come over...LOL

(and not talking about the hygenic things...just the clutter, laundry, etc stuff)
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 7:56 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I think we all feel this way from time to time. I'm not working right now, and I honestly I can't wait to go back to work. I love spending time with my little ones, but I need adult conversation. When I was working my DH helped A LOT. We equally did the house chores and baby duties, but now since my title is a SAHM I'm lucky if I can get him to bring his clothes to the laundry room. When house work starts to get to crazy leave it. Ask DH to do some house work, it's only fair he does half. Or if the dishes don't get done after dinner once in a while its okay. Enjoying reading your little ones stories, or playing dress up and having a tea party. They are going to want to do less things with you as they get older. Set one day aside to do all the laundry so it doesn't feel like thats all you do when you get home. And the 4 & 5 year old might like helping mommy with some of the chores so you can at least do them together.
    Vanessannd

Answer by Vanessannd at 8:39 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I feel your pain. I have 5 ages 23 down to 2. I work full time in the summer and part time in the winter. I have bills and housework, violin lessons and dr's apts etc. It is hectic. I never sit still for more than a minute when I am home. You have to be very organized, you have to prioritize. Do as much as you can if they nap. Things get easier as they grow. Not less busy just easier...or maybe it is just you acclimate to them by then..who knows. Hang in there.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:23 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I feel your pain. I have 3 boys 22,14 and 5 and they give me a run for my money. Every once in a while I quit! I wont do laundry, dishes cleaning, and when they complain, I ask for a little help and I usually get it. But I do survive on alot of coffe and the latest miracle is 5 hour energy extra strenght! Its almost all vitamin b. I Calgon doesnt take me away anymore. I work too so I know the exhaustion you feel. Breath... and take time for you!
    DIANE463

Answer by DIANE463 at 11:25 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I feel the same way. I work full time and have 3 kids (13, 6, 3) I can't keep up with everything. My house is gross.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:14 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Some days I feel like I'm drowning. I have 3 children ages 14 years and 16 months. The twins are both special needs children, one with cerebral palsy and one with sensory integration disorder. I work part-time, take my twins to 13 therapies a week, plus the eqivalent of 2 doctor visits a month (7 doctors seen every few months), and home school my 14 year old. I too feel like my kids are number 1 in my life and the housework can wait. I try not to let it get out of hand by cleaning a little bit every day. I try to set aside 20 minutes a night to power clean when the kids go to bed. And that doesn't include dishes, which are done daily.

I also make my DH and my oldest help out. DH has his specific jobs and is responsible for his own laundry and we share the twins laundry duty. The 14 yo is responsible for keeping the dishes put away, the bathrooms cleaned, and for her own laundry.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 4:22 PM on Mar. 31, 2009