Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how do i file for custady w/out a lawer and get it to a judge asap?

Answer Question

Asked by wickedcalypso at 6:29 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • You can't get it to the judge right away even if there's an attorney. You have to file

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:31 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

  • go to your local courthouse (or what ever county the child is in) and file for emergency custody first.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:41 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

  • You can file with out an attorney, but It can take a while either way. However if you go down to your local court house they should have an intruction book on filing legal documents. Some even have a secretary typr person there to asist you. It's a difficult process and you most likely wont find to many helpful people. They tend to feel as though you are stepping on some toes. Your can also some times get direction in this subject from a public defender. Good luck I hope this helps a little.

    Answer by hot-mama86 at 6:43 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

  • depending on your situation you may be able to get help from a spousel abuse agency. if your in fear of your ex partner for what ever reason they can help you get a protection order and alot of times that protection order will come with a tempory custudy order as well

    Answer by 1boy_2girls at 12:48 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

  • You need to talk to your local court house and figure out if your situation qualifies for an emergency hearing or not. These still can take 48 hrs to a week.

    If the child is in danger you need to call the police AND CPS, sometimes one is helpful and the other isn't and in our situation we can never be sure of WHICH this time.

    Answer by Praying at 12:59 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

  • PS

    If this is covered in the teen section, the judge will likely want to talk to the teanager to verify the need for change inc ustody.

    Answer by Praying at 12:59 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

  • Well good luck getting a judge to take you serioulsy without a lawyer. My ex BIL tried it (and had good reason to!) & the judge just ignored everything he presented even though he had facts to back it up.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

  • Don't do it without an attorney. The staff at the courthouse cannot give you any help or information, they are not qualified. They will tell you to talk to an attorney. Every case is different so there is no way a secretary can give you information. They are not attorneys. Attorneys offer free consultations. Call one and see what you can do.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:43 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.