Honest question for athiests...Do you prostelize your beliefs and if you do, why?

A group put a billboard similar to the Christian "I am second" billboards. It says "Don't believe in God? Youre not alone."...

So that's where this question comes from.

MamaChamp

Asked by MamaChamp at 6:37 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I wouldn't say I that I preach my beliefs at all. In fact, I don't talk about them with anyone except my husband and brother. No one at work knows. If they did, my reputation would be ruined. I would not have opportunities for promotions etc.

I agree with witchqueen. Atheists are becoming more vocal. Atheists are the largest minority in this country. More than African Americans, Hispanics, or Jews. Yet we have to keep our beliefs to ourselves and many know no one who has similar beliefs. The recent advertisements are to bring atheists together.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 1:08 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Im not atheist, but im going to go out a limb here and say they do it for the same reasons other religions do..?
    Anonymous

• Well, as a Christian w/o going into many details. I believe that if you don't believe Jesus Christ is savior, you will live a less abundant life and go to hell.
    But if an athiest doesn't believe in anything...what exactly are you trying to get people to believe in or to disbelieve in? I don't get it and I want to understand. its sort of like, oxymoron but what am I missing?
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 6:55 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I am not familiar witht the the "I am second" billboards. In my area I have seen a lot Christian billboards that say things like "Jesus Saves" & "Jesus is THE Lord & Saviour" & other things along those lines... so when I saw the "Don't believe in God? You are not alone" billboard I found it refreshing; THAT billboard only reaches out  to those who share the belief stated on the billboard, it doesn't try to sway or worse force ones belief on others. Jesus is most definitely not my Lord or Saviour & I don't appreciate being told so by an abrasive billboard. I don't see that billboard as prostelyzing (sp?) at all.

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 6:58 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Atheist often feel isolated. Some have been disowned by family member, some just think that no one thinks the same way they do. The billboards are away for atheists to come together.

Imaginaryfriend

Answer by Imaginaryfriend at 7:13 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I agree with bubbaluva. I am in the south and see many many many billboards etc. that have " Jesus Saves" or "Jesus loves you" and other similar things. I am not offended by them but they do annoy me ( just being honest) I am not atheist but my beliefs differ from those messages by far. There is no billboard like the " Don't believe in God? You are not alone" one here but I can imagine it being offensive or anything because it is just asking a question and letting others know they aren't alone. It doesn't say " You shouldn't believe in God" or " God is imaginary" or anything like that. It is a question not a statement.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 7:17 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• "Atheist often feel isolated. Some have been disowned by family member, some just think that no one thinks the same way they do. The billboards are away for atheists to come together."

Agreed- theyre not swaying people to "join them" what so ever.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 7:20 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Not atheist (but agnostic)...

I only share my beliefs and ideas with those who are open to the discussion of why I feel the way I do....Usually after they ask...
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 7:29 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• They aren't converting anyone. It would be more like a billboard that says "do you love Jesus? so do we!" Which would really be a nice contrast to the usual attempts at guilting or condecending to people.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:33 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I think just like Christians...because they can.
    hdb

Answer by hdb at 8:04 PM on Mar. 30, 2009