how do i get my 6 month old baby to sleep all through the night?

my son has to go to bed with a bottle or he has to be rocked to sleep and he gets up like 4 times in the night and i dont know what to do im always exausted and my husband and me always fight im worried that if this goes on much longer were going to split up...

SarahCreasman90

Asked by SarahCreasman90 at 6:41 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well some tips that my mom told me and they work very well with my baby are to give him a shower put some relaxing music for her make sure the diaper is clean and that the room smell good and that he has confy cloths on... Also something that is very important DO NOT TALK to him before going to bed. Also when you give him a bath be sure it not playful be calm and sing to him slow songs.. I hope this helps. I think that you shoul sit down with your husband and talk to him and tell him how you feel and try to work things out.
    yashira0124

Answer by yashira0124 at 6:53 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• You can't MAKE a baby sleep if it's not ready to sleep through the night. If they still need to eat, they still need to eat.

Anonymous

• Do you have a good routine? We do bath, read a book, bottle, and bed. Our daughter gets rocked, but we started to get all the snuggling out of the way while she ate, then put her down after the bottle. She cried the first time we did it, but we kept going in there and calming her and she managed to fall asleep. Now she talks herself to sleep most nights. Routines are key to getting them ready to calm down and sleep. Do the same thing every night and they will learn the cues of when it's bed time.

Is this a new thing, his waking up four times? My daughter did that when she was teething, and it will pass. As for sleeping all night, it's not the norm for babies under a year to sleep twelve straight hours. I think people need to realize that :) Hopefully you can get it down to at least only one wake up a night. Good luck!
    mkemom519

Answer by mkemom519 at 6:57 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Ah.the Holy Grail of parenting...and just about as attainable.

Pick up a copy of "The No Cry Sleep Solution."

But don't expect dusk to dawn sleeping in year one. It CAN happen...but nothing you do will make it happen and it generally doesn't.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:54 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• i have this problem too, but its getting better with my 6mo.. i asked my pedi for suggestions and he said that many times infants fall into the habit of waking up and crying several times per night bc crying makes their parents come and pick them up- a comfort thing- try just letting him cry a little bit.. sure it sucks, and i dont mean let him scream for more than 5 minutes, but just see if he'll start to soothe himself back to sleep.. good luck!
    LishaBee

Answer by LishaBee at 9:34 PM on Mar. 30, 2009