My dd has the ROTOvirus. Have you ever heard of it or dealt with it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:43 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Rotavirus is very common and highly contagious. The vaccine has reduce the number of children who get it... but some kids still do but it MUCH less severe than it can be without the vaccine. Before the vaccine we would see children in the hospital all winter long and some would stay several days to over a week. Now when they come in it's only a day or two usually.
    The virus is passed though stool... so wash wash wash with diaper changes.
    It causes vomiting and very sticky watery diarrhea.. and it's almost always green. It can also cause fever.
    To help with the symptoms- stick with pedialyte while there is vomiting or breastmilk (but shorten the time at the breast and feed more often) Don't give formula, it's too hard to digest.
    If you baby does take formula... start with a soy or lactose free... it's much easier on the tummy. OR you can use the regular formula and water it down... 4 oz water to 1 scoop formula.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:10 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Did you opt for the vaccination and then your child contracted it anyway, did your child get the ROTOvirus before he/she was old enough for the vaccination or did you choose not to get this vaccination?

I always try to learn as much as I can from other people's experiences.
    Anonymous

• My DS got Rotavirus when he was about a year old. He was put in the hospital for a week, he ran a high fever, and awful diarrhea. 

trevsrockinmom

Answer by trevsrockinmom at 6:51 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• here's more info. http://www.medicinenet.com/rotavirus/article.htm

Sounds like it's pretty common. My dd has had 2 or 3 "stomach bugs" in her almost 2 years of life (mostly due to day care, but hey, it happens all over). whether it's rotovirus or something else ?? she's never been diagnosed, only offered treatment options for the symptoms.
    Anonymous

• My son had it when he was 14 months old. He had to be in the hospital for a week and a half, he was incredibly dehydrated. He couldn't keep any food down and he had the worst case of diarrhea ever. Hope your little starts feeling well soon. Make sure you wash your hands and anything that they vomit/poop on. The virus lives in the feces.

And it doesn't matter if you get the vaccine or not. My son got the vaccine and he still got the virus.
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 6:55 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• That was the worst time of our lives!My son got it at 2 and he was so sick!Thank God he didn't have to be hospitalized.He gave it to me and I couldn't function for days.Nasty virus!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 7:01 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• My kids have each had it a few times. I always know by the smell and color of the diarrhea.

Each case is lighter, and the first one sick with it has it the worst...the others who catch it from the first have lighter cases.

The very first time was the WORST...but we lucked out and no one ended up in the hospital.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:13 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I recommend washing hands often (sing happy birthday to yourself twice while scrubbing your hands under warm runnng water- it takes 20 seconds) and use disposable gloves to clean up after sickness or to clean the bathroom, including washing down the faucet and handles, the light switch, the doorknobs, and the toilet flusher. Then wash hands anyway.

Answer by Bmat at 7:46 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• It is pretty common and really contagious. The vaccine doesn't stop the virus it makes it less powerful. No vaccine stops a disease or virus. Wash hands a lot, Lysol all sufraces, especially door knobs, light switches, phones, etc.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:53 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• My dd had it when she was 10mths and was hospitolized for 3 days. She could hold nothing down. It came out of both ends. Just make sure you watch. if your child doesnt eat or hold anything down for 2 days and is real pale i would take them to the dr and see if they need to go to the hospitol. There is really nothing you can give them but pedialyte, until they can hold down things and then do a brat diet. In case you dont know what that is its...bannana, rice, applesauce and toast. DD was on that for like 4 days. She lost almost 2 pounds with the roto. Hope this helps
    Samantha523

Answer by Samantha523 at 10:09 PM on Mar. 30, 2009