Should I clear off my tables to avoid my son getting ahold of everything?

I know this is a parenting choice up to me, but I would like some suggestions...Should I take all the decorations off the tables my son uses to help him stand or just keep telling him no? Right now I have one coffee table cleared off for him to have some of the things he can grab on, but the other furniture I have decor still on. Any suggestions would help. Thanks.

DenMother08

Asked by DenMother08 at 6:59 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He will grab everything. How is your tolerance for this? Do you have the patience, do you have to have those things on the table for now? Honestly, I would take it off so you're not always at him. My kids are 4 and 6 and although I have fine art on the walls, I still have sculptures locked away. I think it's just not worth it, you know?
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:04 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• baby proof. dont chance anything.
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 7:06 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• why wouldnt you? i dont get it. this seems like a simple answer
    Anonymous

• This is something that is really up to your way of being because if it bothers you and you get really irritated then yes but i think that you should just try to let him know that he cannot touch that because when he goes to someone elses house his not gonna know not to touch and he will touch...
    yashira0124

Answer by yashira0124 at 7:11 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I keep some stuff around, but it's things I don't care if my DD touches and they are things she can't break or hurt herself. My DD is 13 months, so far i've been lucky she doesn't get into alot of things. lol i'm knocking on wood right now
    Anonymous

• No Way!! Don't move anything, teach your child what he can and cannot touch. Life does not change to conform to each individual and he needs to learn that there are limits and consequences. I have raised three children and provided childcare in my home for over twenty years now and I never move anything, ever! The children learn how to handle certain things gently, some things are off limits entirely, and after a very short period of time they all learn what to do and not to do. Our little ones at this point are a one and two year old, they are permitted to play with our glass chess set and love it, they have never broken one piece. But there are other items on the same table that they can't touch and they don't. If you take the time to train your children then you will all be much happier. They need to learn obedience and if you take the easy way out you are depriving your child in the long run.

lilhoney

Answer by lilhoney at 7:58 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• If he's just starting I would just take it off as to not distract him from learning..you can teach him "no" when he's older and can comprehend a little better. If it was me, I would clear it off just to make sure he doesn't get hurt either. But then again i have 2 big dogs with whips for tails so I don't have anything on coffee table anyway.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:04 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Clear it all away, I know it sucks, I have 18 mo old twins and haven't anything on my tables forever!
    Andrewbrian2

Answer by Andrewbrian2 at 8:46 PM on Mar. 30, 2009