Any advice ??

I have reciently moved in with my boyfriend and we are expecting our own baby very soon. The thing is, I'm pretty much a 'virgin' when it comes to cooking for him. This is my first time out on my own and I dont know much about cooking. Whats a good start to begin with? I love cooking and would want to show it in my food without it being gross. My boyfriend on the other hand is an amazing cook and I want to return the favor.

CandieGirl09

Asked by CandieGirl09 at 7:15 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Pasta and chicken are a good place to start. Throw shrimp (fast cooking and easy, ask the guy where you buy the shrimp) into most kinds of pasta. Make spaghetti by using a jar and then add spices, tomatoe paste, ground beef, black olives, etc. Soups are pretty easy too if you start with Swanson's chicken broth and then add veggies. There are basic cookbooks but you can google Mr. Food for really easy recipes.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:19 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Oh this is not a Bash get a Cooking for dummies book I have one it is awesome.I'll try and help you now though quickly. What kinda of food does he like His favorite would be awesome just pleasedon't say pizza.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:19 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Kraft Foods sends out a free newsletter with extremely easy recipes. You just have to go to their website and sign up for it. Most of the recipes are no-brainers for experienced cooks, but I know it helped me when I first started.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 7:25 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• One of my favorites to cook is manicotti or lasagna. Manicotti are the large rolled pasta, tastes much the same as lasagna. For either one, I start by mixing 30 oz Ricotta cheese with 1 cup mozzarella, 1/4 cup parmesan, 1 egg, and 2 tsp italian seasoning in a large bowl. Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to directions on the box. FOR MANICOTTI: Heat a jar of your favorite pasta sauce along with spices and herbs. Heat for a few minutes. Drain the pasta and, using a spoon, carefully fill the pasta with the cheese mixture. Lay in a greased 13x9" pan in a single layer. Top with the pasta sauce and 1/2 cup grated parmesan. Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes til the cheese is browned and bubbly. FOR LASAGNA: In a pan, brown 1 lb italian sausage. Add 1 jar favorite sauce. Layer the noodles, cheese, and meat sauce, ending with noodles and meat sauce on top. Top with 1 cup grated mozzarella and 1/2 cup parmesan. Bake as above.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 8:06 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Serve with homemade garlic bread: Take a french loaf and split in half. Mix 1 stick of butter with 1 or 2 tsp garlic powder and 1 tsp italian seasoning. Spread on the bread. Bake in the oven with the pasta for 10-15 minutes or til browned and toasty.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 8:07 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Chicken fettuchini alfredo. It's so simple to make and is very delish.
    lunamuse89

Answer by lunamuse89 at 9:01 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Oh! I'm in the same boat! my so even went to culinary school! I try but there's always something I should have done to the food!
    Anyhow - I've learned that I EXCEL at Salads!! I hope your bf likes salads... I also do lemonades/teas/orange juices.
    And also I recommend getting a cook book meant for brand new cooks looking for good food OR super overweight people looking to lose weight ( and substitute half and half for non fat yogurt or real eggs instead of egg beaters - I have a Biggest Losers cookbook because all the recipes take less than 10 minutes. Awesome!!!). Anyhow, that's what I do because 1. the recipes are on the healthy side and 2. they're designed like you would expect a Cooking For Dummies book would be!
    preggoandfat

Answer by preggoandfat at 9:01 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Do you guys want to know how to make something every guy I've ever met loves. I just thought of it. It's Jack soaked Ribs Let me know if you want the recipe.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 10:20 PM on Mar. 30, 2009