Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Temporary replacement care provider for my children

I'm going through such a hardship. It began with my having to go into a shelter b/c of my alcoholic, abusive husband. In skipping the details in that, lets just say, it's been a roller coaster.

Here's the deal, if I wanted to ask someone close to me to care for my children temporarily while I find a job, what would it entail. No courts involved; just notarized letters on both parts.

I'm asking b/c I had a plan, but it may go down the drain. So, I'm thinking of a back-up plan.

Note: Child support would then go to temporary child-care provider, so whatever income I have would be made from working. This would allow me to get on my feet and help me in finding at least a room to rent.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 7:23 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (4)
  • I can only think of temporary guardianship. That would allow them to make all decisions on behalf of the children. School, medical, legal, etc. The term temporary would have a beginning and an end. You could also have certain clauses added in that fit your particular situation.

    Answer by EireLass at 7:27 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

  • That all has to be okayed by the courts I'm sure if you're divorced or even temporary to give you best protection to get your kids back. What about putting them in afterschool programs? Did you call your county's displaced homemaker program? There was a couple in the news in the past few months who took a child for an Oriental couple in hard times and refused to give her back. It took many many court proceedings for the mom to get her own blood daughter back. Call Displaced Homemakers in your county, call for free consultations with a lawyer. I wouldn't do this, I don't think it's foolproof. Talk to lawyers, not legal aid, through free consults first. Look in the phone book and just read different lawyers websites who say they do family law and then call and explain your situation and ask for a free phone or free appointment consultation!!!! Be very careful mommy. Prayers for you.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:51 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

  • Thank you! Both of you gave GREAT input; a lot for me to think about. I appreciate you!

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:55 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

  • I think your safest bet would be a temporary entrustment into foster care.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.