My 2 month old has a really BAD COUGH.....HeLp!!!

So my son will be 2 months this friday and has a really bad cough its takes him a good while to fall asleep because hes coughing ALOT and he will cey a little because he cant sleep well now hes asleep but is coughing constintly and had a really bad runny nose all night yesterday. we went to the doc but saw the nurse pratitioner because the doc is out for a month and she said there is nothing they can give him because hes still a baby to give him cough medicine. So what can i do???
What will they do if i take him to the ER??? nothing??..... PLEASE HELP!!!

Araceli361

Asked by Araceli361 at 7:44 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If i was in your shoes i would probably take him to the er just to make sure it isn't something worse then a cough...but if it is just a cough then the nurse is right and there is nothing you can do...I hope you little one feels better soon!!
    8firsttimemom8

Answer by 8firsttimemom8 at 7:46 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• my grandbaby was coughing alot i told my daughter everytime she takes a shower put the baby in her bouncy seat in the bathroom with her within 2 days cough was gone i think there sinuses r bad this time of year pollen u know
    cuppycake2009

Answer by cuppycake2009 at 7:51 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• If he is coughing so bad that he can't fall asleep, or if you notice he is having trouble breathing I would take him to the ER. Definitely, check his temp too. If he is running a temp w/coughing he could have pnuemonia. Good luck.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 7:52 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• No they took that test and it came back negative but yes at night he has trouble breathing through his nose but they just said to keep using the nasil spray.... :(
    and he hasnt had a fever at all! Just sad because i boy keeps coughing :(
    Anonymous

• maybe he could sleep in his bouncy seat or swing just so he's upright or even his carseat. When my DD was sick we did menthol baths 2 times a day then sucked the nose and did little noses saline drops (breastmilk drops if you're BFing) and baby vicks on the chest and feet with warm PJs. take him in the bathroom and turn the shower as HOT as it will go and let the bathroom fill with steam. Let him breath that for like 10 minutes and also a cool mist humidifier helped with my DD. Other than that give tylenol if fever and for discomfort. it really sux when theyre so little they can't have anything. oh btw, triaminic sells a vapor fan at Target in the same area that you get infant tylenol and that really helped too. Good luck.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:03 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• try putting a humidfier in the room with him it will help loosin the mucus keep him nose suctioned with the bulb syring and saline
    medic_mom242

Answer by medic_mom242 at 8:17 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Get one of the battery operated nasal asperators. I got mine from Babies R Us for $20 and it's made by Graco. It's been a life saver to help keep my daugher's nose clear and she isn't coughing as much either. I think it is because the snot in her nose was running down the back of her throat and making her cough. Good luck!
    anglgrl03

Answer by anglgrl03 at 8:36 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• My son was doing that when i took him to the pedi they said that he had a double ear infection...gave me some antibiotics and told me to let him sleep in his car seat or bouncer that has helped he is over his cough and still on antibiotics.. so try letting him sleep sitting up and see if that helps..
    LTLDEB

Answer by LTLDEB at 10:49 AM on Mar. 31, 2009