NEED SOME ADVICE FOR MY TEENS ACNE?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:56 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Buy Pro-Active
    Anonymous

• I strongly recommend going to a dermatologist. They will know exactly how to treat it and give good advice on skin care. Your teen doesn't need to suffer with this.

Answer by Bmat at 7:58 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Dermatologist is the best overall answer. A quick answer for you would to be try the top brands like pro-active for a few weeks. I always just used Nuetragena acne wash and then afterwords used moisturizer by Olay complete.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 8:00 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Look into the oil cleansing method. Even if you think it SOUNDS idiotic, do a search and read up on the benefits. Also, cutting back on sugar helps, because acne is often cause by yeast overgrowth in the body, and yeast feeds on sugar.
    MomEveryDay

Answer by MomEveryDay at 8:14 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• PROACTIVE!!
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 8:14 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• BTW, I see all the pro-proactiv comments. It helped me for about a year. Then, it stopped working so well, but I found that if I scrubbed my face first with exfoliating gloves and a gentle cleanser, and THEN used the proactiv, it worked for the next year. Then it quit working, and my face started looking really dry and old. So I quit using that and went to other products, but my face FREAKED OUT for a couple months, looking dry and crappy, and extremely broken out.
    So as much as I believe proactiv works in the beginning, I believe you pay a big price (the youthful look of your skin) for a couple years of okay skin.
    MomEveryDay

Answer by MomEveryDay at 8:20 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• If it is bad i suggest a dermatologist... but if you are looking for a natural no harsh chemical solution that works pretty well... Aloe vera gel. I used it as a teen and it worked great.. still use it for the occasional "that time of the month" break out. Good luck!
    Tzutchka

Answer by Tzutchka at 9:00 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Just a small warning on some acne medicines (unfortunately I don't know the exact name of the one in question) but at least one of them has some very negative side effects such as severe depression. I know a kids who started on one medication and really wasn't feeling well - fortunately, he happened to see an article on a teen that committed suicide that was attributed to the depression from the acne med he was on, and the kid I knew (in relief) said "OMG that is what I am taking and that is how I am feeling"... and they immediately took him off.

I don't want to scare any one, but do look into the side affects of any such med. The one in question (sorry, don't know the name) was prescribed by a dermo.
    PhillyinFrance

Answer by PhillyinFrance at 5:38 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• PhillyinFrance...Sounds like your talking about Acutane (sp?). My hubby and brothers were on that as teens. It works really well, but your right, it can cause some major problems. They needed monthly blood tests done and always had to answer questions. I tried to get on it when I was in my 20's and couldn't find a dermatologist to perscribe it because of the health risk it can cause to women in child bearing years. And from what I understand, they will only perscribe it for very severe acne.
    jcsg

Answer by jcsg at 6:39 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Well, I myself have pretty bad acne at times; breakouts suck.
    On the other hand, does your teens drink a lot of coke or other beverages like that? If so lay them off of it, put them on juice or water, that's why my family did to me. My face cleared up in a matter of a week! I was amazed..
    Junk food also may do it.. lay them off the sugar high things!
    My cousin on the other hand, every night before he went to bed he put a warm washcloth on his face and let it sit for about 4 minutes. His face is cleared now..
    (BUT IT WENT TO HIS BACK!! lol)
    Kaiithegreat

Answer by Kaiithegreat at 5:18 AM on Apr. 10, 2009