Is it safe to take a bath being so close to birth?

I'm 36 weeks pregnant and I'm just wondering if it is bad to take a bath? I've spoken to my grandma about this and she said baths were bad because water goes up inside of you being so close to the big day and all. But, is that really true? & How hot it too hot for the baby ?

CandieGirl09

Asked by CandieGirl09 at 8:02 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• you can't boil the baby, without boiling yourself. :)

take a bath. i plan to in labor!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:00 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Well I was 38 weeks and took a bath which I did to ease the pain in my back-- I went into LABOR and delivered my daughter Kerrie 5 hours later!! Just my experience, though. May not be typical.
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 8:05 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Baths are perfectly fine. I took a bath late in pregnancy and everything was fine. The baby doesn't feel the temperature of the water like you do, so it can be as hot as you want it. Make sure you can stand it though, and not too hot that it'll make you dizzy.
    Haidens_Mama

Answer by Haidens_Mama at 8:05 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Bathe away! Baths are fine throughout pregnancy. The water should be no hotter than your body tempature(a tiny bit warmer is fine).
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 8:06 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• the reason they dont want you taking baths is because the soap and water will give you infections(yeast uti bacteria ect...) warm water is ok but hot water like that of a hot tub will "boil your baby" the temp will cause your baby to into into distress and can cause brain damage and the amniotic fluid will burn your babys skin
    medic_mom242

Answer by medic_mom242 at 8:06 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• My doctor told me that if i was uncomfortable that a warm bath should help. I even took a bath while i was having contrations to see if i could get them to stop. of course they didn't but it did help a little. so i think it's safe.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 8:09 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• It's COMPLETELY safe. Remember women give birth in water everyday!
    Anonymous

• just try not to raise your temperature to the point you get dizzy, keep in mind that babies are one degree higher than your body temperature, and if the temperature raises in your body the baby gets one degree hotter than you get, thats whats i was told by my doctor
    maryfer

Answer by maryfer at 8:14 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• as long as your water hasn't broke then it's safe if your water is broke you risk infection
    amommy2a2yrold

Answer by amommy2a2yrold at 8:18 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Be careful of the temperature of the water. Don't let it be too hot. Warm is OK. Don't use bubblebath since it could encourage yeast infection.

Answer by Bmat at 8:18 PM on Mar. 30, 2009