Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help me argue my case to get my husband to go to the doctor please?

He twisted his ankle really bad at work today. The area around the bone on the outside of the ankle is 4 times the size of the other ankle and there is a band of swelling that goes from the ankle, over the top of the foot, around under his arch (bottom of the foot), then connects back to the ankle bone again. It's not black and blue, but the swelling is pretty bad. All I can think of is that he sprained it kinda bad... but if you know men, that's not enough to get him to go to the doctor. I've been alternating heat and ice for the last two hours, gave him ibuprophen to reduce the swelling... but it isn't going down.

If you can wrap your mind around the description I gave you, then help me come up with a viable argument that will convince him that he needs to see a doctor. If he just keeps going on it I'm afraid it'll make it worse. Any words you can give me that I can pass on to him?


Asked by PaceMyself at 8:24 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Health

Level 5 (75 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (10)
  • Well, ladies. Thank you all very much, but nothing worked. His ankle bone was still swollen the size of my cupped palm this morning, but he says since he can rotate it, the swelling isn't worse and he can get his boot on....then it's off to work for him. Argh! Men.

    Answer by PaceMyself at 9:02 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

  • Tell him,he can get blood poisoning and die from it.Good luck,men are such babies.

    Answer by Val504 at 8:25 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

  • OMG, that is absurd, tell him to be a man and get to the freaking doctor, men are so stupid!! If that doesn't work, lol, tell him that if something is wrong, which it obviously is, he may not heal correctly and he could have long term problems. Sheesh, I want to smack him!

    Answer by gramsmom at 8:27 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

  • Don't worry about it.....he'll be there first thing in the morning. Because it's probably broke or sprained really bad. He''ll know in the morning he has to go get an xray! Good luck.

    Answer by mamaada at 8:29 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

  • It could heal poorly without proper care and leave him limping for the rest of his life. (at least tell him this) By the way, just use ice right now, no more than 20 minutes at a time.
    But really, if there is an injury it should be treated, and if he doesn't go soon, his insurance won't cover as much. For our insurance treatment for injuries has to be within 24 hours for them to cover 100% of it, so if he delays he'll have to pay more out of pocket and also may limp for the rest of his life. (ps- I don't know about the limping, really, but you can use it to motivate him.)

    Answer by Bmat at 8:30 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

  • If he's considered about the medical process - workman's comp covers it and for most clinics that handle workman's comp no appointments are necessary. They even give you all the medications for free too. I'm assuming its similar in all states.
    Tell him if he doesn't go... if that foot of his keeps him from going to work he won't be able to get any pay for missed time from work. If he does go, he will. Who wants to pass up well deserved time to rest... Maybe you can call an advice nurse while he's sitting right there! Call Kaiser, maybe. They don't ask for your medical record number when you call so you can call even if you're not a member.

    Answer by preggoandfat at 8:32 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

  • Just tell him to get off his chicken ass,and get to the hospital,or all of your CM friends are going to come there and carry his whiny ass.If it does'nt heal right ,he will have problems with it from now on. Tell him we are on our way,and if he don't go,we will break his other one. lol

    Answer by Val504 at 8:32 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

  • LOL at Val! Yeah, we're on our way!

    Answer by Bmat at 8:39 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

  • Just let him know that ignoring the problem is not going to make it go away. (most guys try to "tough out" the pain) It could cause more damage if it is serious and in turn cause him to be out of work for a long period of time. (guys hate losing money) and also let him know if he goes to the doctor and it is badly sprained or broken.. well then nurse "pacemyself" (sorry dont know your name) wil have to make a house call :) (guys like Hope he goes to the doctor soon! good luck and tell him to get better! Prayers!

    Answer by Tzutchka at 8:54 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

  • act like you dont care, don't help him with it anymore n ice or heat dont even talk bout it, let him deal with the pain himself and he'll see how it feels, after awhile he'll get fustrated with the pain and u not caring then he'll wanna go

    Answer by shaimommy at 11:06 PM on Mar. 30, 2009