Can this effect a baby?

I know when I had my son I held him all the time.

My friend the only time she holds her month old is when he is hungry but most of the time she lays him on the floor to feed him. Can that cause anything? I dont know if im asking the question right.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:28 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• YES! It can cause failure to thrive, and can be very harmful to a baby! This can cause the child to eventually stop eating, stop developing, and cause hospitalization and even death. There are many documented cases of this in orphanages and such.

Here's some info
    Facts about Failure to Thrive

this is taken from the following website. While newborns don't have to be held all the time, they do need to be loved and held, cuddled, talked to, etc. This is from a site that talks about adoptions, but the medical link between lack of stimulation and attention given to a child and failure to thrive is proven, whether the child is up for adoption or not. (*btw - there can be other, non neglectful causes for failure to thrive as well)

http://specialneedsadoption.rainbowkids.com/Failure_to_Thrive.aspx

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:12 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Well, the bonding wont be as strong probably but otherwise I dont know of any damage it might cause.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 8:31 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• poor little one probably doesnt feel secure and feeding on the floor...that's a good way to get ear infections....
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:39 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• babies need love and cuddling.. your friend is a bitch.. !! hold that baby
    three-for-now

Answer by three-for-now at 8:41 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Everytime im around the baby I hold him and wont put him down till I leave and he just cuddles up to me and stares at me.
    Anonymous

• I have a former friend (unrelated reason for friendship ending) who was the same way. That to me goes against every natural instinct I have........

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 8:45 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Yeah, my dd is almost 9 months old and she has been held for every single feeding of her life. I have never propped the bottle. My dd will play nicely on the floor, but most of the time I am sitting on the floor with her. Babies need all kinds of hugs and cuddles and security.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 8:47 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• i think there is something wrong with it.. babies need to connect and feel safe with someone.. i never put my son down...
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 8:47 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Babies are supposed to be cuddled, held and nurtured. I would think that poor baby could choke if he is laying flat on the floor to eat. Hmmm maybe she should see a doctor cause it sounds like there is something wrong with her and her lack of bonding/maternal feelings- maybe she has post partum depression?
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:47 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• cont
    In orphanages, the number one cause of Failure to Thrive is simply a lack of touch, stimulation and love. A child may even die due to missing these essential requirements for growth. For some infants, failure to thrive may be caused by an inappropriate mixture of powdered formula and water, resulting in a watered-down diet that is inadequate to meet the baby’s nutritional needs. Touching, holding and talking to an infant are required for proper stimulation. Without this stimulation, the child looses the motivation to eat and brain development is delayed. This is similar to a deep depression in that the baby seems to give up on living.

taken from the link above.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:16 PM on Mar. 30, 2009