Is my baby too young to be sleeping away from home??

My baby is a little over 4 weeks old.. My boyfriends mother (babys grandmother) Has been nagging us about having the baby over night for a while now. She wont let up so we were concidering letting her spend one night over there this weekend... I just want to do the safest and the right thing for this baby. I need help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:38 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Make sure the baby has a place to sleep such as a crib or bassinet. This is why I'm scared to let my baby sleep over my mom's. I know she'll want to sleep with the baby. lol
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 8:40 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I wouldn't consider that for one second....a month old. come on. he needs mommy. grandma can come visit. I say absolutely not!! you give in this time, she'll never leave you alone.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:40 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• besides he needs to eat every couple hours...shes gonna get up every 2 hours and feed him in the middle of the nite?? I don't think so.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:41 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• And I do agree with calliesmommie...4 weeks is too little. I'd wait till baby is atleast 1.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 8:43 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I would say apsolutly not. Even at a year old is a little young to spend the night away from home.
    stephmiester87

Answer by stephmiester87 at 8:43 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• mine both spent night at 6 mo. its ur opinion don't let her force you into something u are not comfortable doing
    HisServant4ever

Answer by HisServant4ever at 8:50 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• My youngest spent the weekend away when he was 6 months old. DH and I went away for the weekend for our anniversary. Our oldest didn't stay away from home until he was 13 months old and that was because he brother was born. I don't think I could let him go at a month old. But it is totally up to you. Actually the more I think of it. If DH and I were going to go away, I honestly would have no problem with leaving my one month old with my mil for a night but I wouldn't make it a regular thing.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 9:09 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I wouldn't even consider it. Maybe you can both go spend a night there, or she can come spend a night with you.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:21 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• If you are worried enough to have to ask people their opinion; you already know the answer....NO!! It may not bother some people to leave a 4wk old with family; but it obviously bothers you enough to pause and think about it. Just inform her that she is more than welcome to come stay the night at your house and watch the baby for you (like a trial run with you there). But I agree with calliesmommie; you need to set the ground rules now or she will try to push her way around with other issues as well. This is YOUR baby and you are allowed to raise it the way you are comfortable and if that means no sleepovers then that is how it will be. I know my son freaked out when we stayed the night with my parents because it wasn't familiar to him (and he was 6 months old at the time). STAND YOUR GROUND!! Good Luck
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 9:42 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• my son stayed at gmas at almost 4 weeks... i didnt know i what the sex of my baby was until he was born so we waited until after to have one of my baby showers. i wanted to be able to get ready and do my hair so my mom offered to have him spend the night... i called a billion times to check on him, but he was just fine. if you trust them, then let them. grandparents have raised children before so they know about the every 2 hour feedings, so they know what they are getting themselves into. they wouldnt want to keep your baby unless they were prepared to do the around-the-clock feedings! take a break mom... you deserve it!!!!
    softbalchic2004

Answer by softbalchic2004 at 11:16 PM on Mar. 30, 2009