5 month old and solids... Are solids ok?

My daughter is about 5 mos. old. I started her on solids last night. I have homemade frozen rice cereal, apple, and something I haven't tried yet but it smells like apple, as well. I breast feed but supplement feed with formula. Before I knew I had different flavors of cereal I mixed some formula with it then realized (by the smell) that it was apple. The question I have is do you think it was ok to feed it to her? And would it be ok to comtinue feeding it to her. I know a few yrs. back when I had my first you could start solids between 4 and 6 mos. I also know now things have changed and they don't want you starting solids before 6 mos. but I'm looking for mothers- point- of-view answers. So if anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and please nothing mean. Thank you to all that reply!! :)

Kitty0907

Asked by Kitty0907 at 8:43 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started mine at 3 months the milk just wasn't fulfilling. However the clinical answer is no. My opinion is if the baby can swallow w/o choking issues or gagging it is perfectly fine.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 8:45 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Its apsolutely fine to give her solids. My son was getting them at 2 1/2 months. He is 7 months now and is on stage twos. Wic says hes not ready but his doctor says its fine. It is up to the parent. Just ask a few qustions, can she sit up supported? does she move forward towards spoon while being fed? her poops normal when given food. She'll let you know if shes not ready for something. just do what you feel is best for her and what she is ready for.
    stephmiester87

Answer by stephmiester87 at 8:47 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Oh also they say started to early can cause allergies. I have personally not known any one or myself had this issue so I'm not sure about it I don't personally believe it.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 8:47 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• i forgot to add some of the reason i started this early is because she only weighs 10lbs.!! she's so tiny. the dr. said she was fine, just small. but i figured starting solids would give her a little weight.
    Kitty0907

Answer by Kitty0907 at 8:59 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Many moms will say its fine, and others (myself included) would say you should wait a bit longer. But, you know your child best.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:18 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I started my son at about 4 1/2 months. He didn't swallow properly so I stopped and waited a week and tried again. He still didn't like it so I waited another week. Just pay attention to your baby's signals. If she takes it, and doesn't gag she'll probably be okay. Just know that every baby is different and yours will let you know when she's ready.

As for the apple, it's best to introduce one new thing at a time. I'd start with the plain and make sure there are no reactions, then move on to the apple flavor. Wait at least three or four days between introductions of new flavors.
    Good luck!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:31 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Six months is the recommendation. But you've crossed the Rubicon. No looking back. Remember to nurse BEFORE the solids every time.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:11 AM on Mar. 31, 2009