Does the mucus plug have to be red?

Does it have to be just red? and what exactly CAN it look like?

Asher1991

Asked by Asher1991 at 8:46 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I'm not sure I had unusual deliveries, but neither of mine were red. They were a bit pinkish towards the last bit of releasing them. However it took almost a week for me to fully release the whole plug. In the beginning it was a whitish, yellow sticky type goo. The doc called it pre mucus discharge. Then I had about 6 urinations were there was a pinkish goo/period like leakage, but I heard it was different for every one. I hope this helps. Good luck.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 8:52 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Mine had no red it was like really thick mucus, clear and yellow. I didn't even have any pink.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 8:54 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• The actual plug is usually clear or brownish/pinkish tint. The bloody show si what would be red and that would mean that labor is actually coming, versus the mucous plug has no bearing on that.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 8:54 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• No, it definately does not have to be red. In fact, with all of my pregnancies my mucous plug resembled the snot from when you would have a sinus infection (sorry to be so graphic). If it is bright red, then I wold reccommend calling your doctor. Not that something is wrong, but just to be on the safe side. Good Luck!
    xol0velypink

Answer by xol0velypink at 9:11 PM on Mar. 30, 2009