• In the Spotlight:

Is it possible to adjust a large dog to a small apartment?

Since separating from my husband I've had to move myself and my son into a one bedroom apartment. Now my husband is refusing to keep the dogs and I can't seem to find a home for my biggest dog Cooper. It's looking like I may have no other choice at this point other then to bring him to live at my apartment. He's a one year old 40 pound fixed male mutt that I adopted from the local humane society. He's actually very mellow (loves sleeping inside all day) but he's use to a home with at least a small yard. Also if he lives here I'll be forced to crate him while I attend class which at worst will be 6 hours a day, two days a week. I'll be able to give him frequent walks but between being pregnant and having to take my three year old along, there wont be long walks or any jogs. I'm worried that the small apartment will leave him bored or not fully exercised but my only other option may be to take him back to the humane society.

Shanin22

Asked by Shanin22 at 8:56 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Pets

• Contact the place you adopted him from and tell then your situation. See if they can take him back or if they cant help you out with finding him a new home. Until he is found a home just keep him with you. Do you know anyone in your building that could walk him for you for the time being??
    itsokmomshere

Answer by itsokmomshere at 9:00 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• ohhh. you're such a good baby mommy and doggie mommy. I've had a good size german shep. in a small apartment. Since he's so mello already he'll probably adjust alright. How about contacting a girl scout troop and ask if for communcity service till your second baby's born, could some one come and walk the dog for you while you're home? You might even get a good babysitter for your kids out of it!!! Do you have a balcony of cement batch that you can put him on to get some sun? That's what I did with three of my dogs when I was ina small apartment with my three kids plus cat.. My husband did absolute zero for our 3kids or animals. All on me. And I was pregnant with one of the kids and one dog and a cat another time plus 2kids another time. The warm weather is coming. See if you can get the dog in the car, just take him and drive to a park and sit with him and your child with the windows open for air.I've done that too.
    Anonymous

• Some how keeping the dog would probably be good protection for you too more on your own soon with another child too.
    Anonymous

• I'm so sorry to hear about your sorrows! I think you could give it a try if you really want to keep him, you have time b4 the baby is born; he doesn't seem so large for a small apartment. I'm actually thinking of getting rid of my rottie, can't handle the stress anymore.
    Lovefeeties

Answer by Lovefeeties at 10:11 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Yeah, 40lbs isn't that big. He will be fine. I think it would be much harder on him to lose his family. He already lost dad and the other dog. I think the pp idea about having someone walk the dog is a great idea.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:17 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• there is nothing wrong with that....he will adjust. It's not mean, it would be worse if you took him back to shelter and he got bounced from home to home...You're a good person for wanting to keep him...actually, just b/c a dog is large doesn't mean anything...some of the best apartment dogs are HUGE..ie: bull mastiffs, greyhounds...all they do is lay around. They only need a good walk everyday and they are content...you are RIGHT in wanting you keep your little family member. You already rescued him once, don't make him go through that again. Good luck:)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:55 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• i agree....he will adjust!! i would probably cut back on his food a bit tho, as he will not be getting as much excersize, ya dont want him to get overweight..and ya if ya live in an apartment building or whatever, im sure there would be some kids that would love to walk your dog for a couple dollars..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:16 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• You might be surprised with how well he adjusts. When we sold our first home and were waiting for this house to be built we had to live in an apartment in between. Our Boxer was used to having a yard to run in and hang out on the deck in the sun. He did great in the apartment though. We went out for walks often and even played fetch up and down the hall of the apartment when the weather was bad. He did not seem unhappy at all. He would have been more unhappy to be separated from his family than anything. Give it a chance and just see what kind of routine you can work out with walking and exercise and I bet he will be fine and you will be so happy to have him with you still.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:36 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Take your time before making any decision. Only time will tell if the dog will adjust or not. Try it out for a while then if he can't handle it then find a new home for him.
    vballaj

Answer by vballaj at 7:39 PM on Mar. 31, 2009