Daycare????

My 10th old has been going to the same daycare since he was 4mths. Every month he is sick. He has even had RSV and Pneumonia. Is this normal ???? They say its because he is around so many kids, he just picks up any little virus????? EVERY MONTH ?????? I am getting very concerned.. They say they clean all of the toys. I dont understand????? Anyone else going through a similar situation?

MamaGiz

Asked by MamaGiz at 9:00 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Even if the day care does clean if they miss even the smallest bit of virus or bacteria any child can get it easily.

Anonymous

• it is normal for them to get a little sick at first but it shouldnt be an ongoing thing once they build up immunities to this stuff. the RSV and pneumonia arent normal. I'de talk to your babies doctor to see what he/she thinks though.
    stephmiester87

Answer by stephmiester87 at 9:04 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I'm not sure this is the answer your looking for but as a nurse I worked at a local day care and normally we seperated sick kids and did everything we could and more to keep toys and changing areas clean. We never seemed to have a lot of kids get more than the sniffles. I guess my advice would be to double check what they are using to clean, because some viruses aren't killed by alcohol. Only bleach kills them.
    amber_xo

Answer by amber_xo at 9:05 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Well my son has only been in day care for 4 weeks now and the second week he caught a stomach virus that lasted 10 days. But apparently none of the other kids were sick so I don't know how that works. But I hope to God he's not sick every month!!!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 9:05 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I just think of it this way; kids are going to get sick when they are around other kids. The best you can hope for is to limit the frequency or severity. You child is building up immunities now so he likely won't be as sick when he enters school. Due to the RSV and pnuemonia; I would definately be speaking with the director of the daycare and letting her know you are not happy. You have to be a pain in the @^%* to get any reaction from the daycares. If it comes down to it, contact your state or local licensing board for daycares and have them check into it because every month does sound excessive. My son has been sick 3 times in 7 months. (I think the first 2 times we passed it back and forth to each other though...lol).
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 9:35 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• it is normal my son use to get sick all the time at kindy and now i work in daycares and every term i go off to a new one as part of my job and every term i get sick with stomach bug and flu but after a while i start getting imune to it all so it will happen for awhile but then he will be fine
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I used to work at a daycare center and I can tell you that even though they say they clean the toys all the time it doesn't mean they really do. The evidence kind of shows that they're probably not.

Of course, even cleaning all the toys won't eliminate all the germs. Kids drool, and put everything in their mouths, and it's next to impossible to keep track of every single toy that goes in a child's mouth in order to sanitize them.

Every month is definitely excessive though. If you b***ch about it to the director they will complain behind your back, and roll their eyes at the "overprotective parent", but if it gets them to do a better job then it's worth it!
    CaylaLU

Answer by CaylaLU at 9:11 AM on Mar. 31, 2009