Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you can figuree out a solution you are my new hero

We bought a car from a friend of my dad's a year and a half ago. The deal was we paid so much down and a balance of $300 paid in 30 days, before we got the title. Well we held a $300 money order for 6 months before we gave up looking for this guy. He doesnt talk to my dad anymore, and he has moved to a different town 30 minutes away from here (rumored at least) but no one knows an address or a new phone number. I have tried everything to get a hold of this guy. We are now selling the car and I have no title. The car is not stolen and I talked to the tag agency and they said that I needed to run a trace on the car to see if I could get any info, and it came up with a guy no one has ever heard of before, and all the contact info on him is not valid. So how do I get an up to date title for this car when we cant find the guy with the title and the name it is currently in is someone we have no idea who he is?


Asked by AK_aries at 9:02 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

Level 6 (115 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (12)
  • I believe you can file for a lost or abandonment title...they will put an add in the paper and if he does not respond in 30 days they issue a title for you. Or you can apply for a salvage title. Good luck.

    Answer by salexander at 9:56 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

  • I would try to look up the guy who title is in.
    If you cant find him, try getting a lost title.
    Im sorry...

    Answer by mommyofAurora at 9:05 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

  • It sounds like either you dad's friend never switched the car into his name or the car was possibly stolen.

    Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 9:08 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

  • Yeah, I would go back to the tag agency and see what they say. You should be able to file for a lost title and get a replacement. Since you paid with a money order, do you have that receipt? It would probably be a good idea to take that along if you do have it. Other than that, just talk to the people at the tag agency. They should be able to help you. Good luck!

    Answer by WadeMom313 at 9:11 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

  • The DMV should be able to look up the VIN and finder title holder info...

    Good Luck!

    Answer by Crystal1124 at 9:16 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

  • Try and get a salvage tittle a junk yard should be able to tell you how to get one. That is the only way I know other than finding the guy.

    Answer by hot-mama86 at 9:20 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

  • I would go to the DMV about it. What with the fact that the guy sold you a car, but wasn't worried about getting his payments for it (other than what you put down), and you can't get the title and he's not on it says to me that the car was stolen.

    In fact, I would also go to the police after you go to the DMV (if they can't help you), and explain the problem to them and that you think you might have inadvertently bought a stolen car...

    Sorry :-(

    I think next time, maybe before you buy a car, they can show you a copy of the title, showing they own it and can sell it? I know that doesn't help now, but... :-(

    Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:21 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

  • We did pay with a money order but the reciept says we still have a balance of $300 which we honestly do, but I am tird of searching for a guy who we owe money, all sense sayas he should be looking for us, we havent moved or changed our number. If the car is stolen, no one ever reported it, we checked with the DMV. Other than that when we did the check for the title ti came up with a guy we dont know, and his number is disconnected, and we sent a certified letter to him to get his help and it was returned undeliverable (guessing he moved). DMV keeps telling us to keep looking for the guy. I keep being told there is a way around it, but I don't know how to.

    Answer by AK_aries at 9:22 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

  • Try going to you can do a free search and maybe that can give you a phone number or address for the guy. Good luck

    Answer by Julia0331 at 9:26 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

  • If it's been so long, the car is probably considered abandoned.

    Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:29 PM on Mar. 30, 2009