Induction or mother nature?

Here is the situation, and please be honest and not judgemental. I am 38 weeks, 5 cm and 50% effaced. I had an amnio today and the test was inconclusive so I am going to be induced Friday. No particular reason for it, just dont want to continue dilating w/o being in labor and then have it be too late for the epidural in the end. My husband is deployed and ASSUMING we would have been induced today he took the day off, but now has to go out on a mission this week and will not be around to watch the birth via webcam. I could let my pregnancy take its own natural course in hopes that he will be back, but its not for certain, or I could be induced and get it over with and send him the CD with the birth. What would you do? Keep in mind that this is my 3rd pregnancy and my last two were done in less than 4-5 hours tops...when I go into labor I go VERY quick, so that is another reason of not wanting to wait until I hit labor.

xol0velypink

Asked by xol0velypink at 9:25 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I would do the induction. Honestly if you don't you may be in some serious pain for a while
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 9:27 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Induced
    lunamuse89

Answer by lunamuse89 at 10:14 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I wouldn't do the induction and here's why. For one labor without the use of induction medications is less painful and much more easily managed with breathing and water techniques. If you're already dilated to 5cm then it's very possible that you will have a quick labor anyway. There is always some amount of risk involved with induction, more so than spontaneous labor. Another thing is that you will have to be monitored and if you want to walk around at all it makes it very difficult. The contractions when you are induced are longer, stronger, and more intense and can be dangerous for the baby. It is natural for a baby's heart rate to drop some during a contraction, but it will usually rebound quickly after one has ended. With induction, the contractions can cause the baby's heart rate to drop more, and stay dropped for longer periods of time. This can be cause for a c-section. Many failed inductions lead to c-section.
    Lilbeamercomin

Answer by Lilbeamercomin at 11:43 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• well...this Is #3 so you know what to expect(i too am on #3)...it's gonna be more painful w the pitocin..i personally wouldnt get induced unless absolutely medically necesarry.. can't you send him a video either way?
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 11:44 PM on Mar. 30, 2009