At what age did you or are you going switch your childs rear facing car seat to a front facing car seat?

I have a 9 month old and i was just wondering at what age do you switch to a front faed carseat?

kandy800

Asked by kandy800 at 9:29 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The minimum age and weight is 12 months AND 20 lbs. It is much safer to keep your child RF longer then this though. Most convertible seats allow for RF up to 35 lbs. My 20 mo old son is still RF, and will remain that way for quite some time.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:35 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Well this is going to get heated I'll tell you that. There are two schools of thought, those who say at 12 months AND 20 lbs, and then there are those that say not until the child weighs (I think) 35 lbs. I personally say it depends on the kid. I would go by the 1 year 20 lbs rule. My nephew just turned 5 this month and he doesn't even weigh 30 lbs yet. Going by the stricter rule he'd be in a rear facing seat until he's 12! I can't imagine that making sense.

I think it's one of those things you'll have to do a little research on and make your own decision.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:37 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Legally a baby must be 12 months (or older) AND 20 pounds (or heavier) to switch to front facing. So a 9 month old 30 pound baby still must be rear facing and a 15 pound 22 month old still must be rear facing.
    Once your child meets both requirements, it's up to you when to switch her.

When my daughter was a year, we switched her. I hadn't heard of recommendations to leave them rear facing longer (until the seat maximum is reached) and we were going on a multi-day car trip - we figured she'd be much happier front facing. So, we switched her.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:41 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Once the feet started hitting the seat it was time for the change .Now you can still keep baby in the baby care seat if you want because that is according to weight .
    hush84

Answer by hush84 at 10:14 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• My son is almost a year old (and 28 lbs), but I'm keeping him rear facing until he's too long to remain that way. He is tall though, so it might only be a few more months.
    parkersmama08

Answer by parkersmama08 at 10:24 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• NOthing to do with "age" (except surpassing the minimum requirements) and everything to do with the maximum weight a car seat allows rearfacing. It is much safer to keep a child rearfacing as long as possible (within reason...noting the 5yo at less than 30lbs above!). I turned my son around at 2y1mo as he approached the upper limit for his seat (which was 30lbs). Of course, the little bugger has stayed that weight for about 6 months now...why couldn't he have paused at 28 or 29?
    2cubs

Answer by 2cubs at 12:55 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• One year AND 20 pounds. No sooner.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:08 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Oh jeez. We turned our daughter's around at one. She still wasn't 20 lbs. She wasn't more then 24 pounds at 18 months. She was tiny for a long time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:45 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Anon, I'm VERY glad you never got into an accident. (no sarcasm here, I'm genuinely glad)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:11 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• The American Academy of Pediatrics has been saying for over 10 years to keep children RF to the limits of their convertible seat. After your baby outgrows the infant seat, you move him to a RF convertible car seat.

Rear-Facing is outgrown in one of two ways. One, is the weight limits. Convertible seats in the US will RF to 30, 33, or 35lbs. Two, once is there is no longer an inch of hard shell above their heads. Once either of those criteria has been met, then you turn the child forward facing.

There isn't enough room here to tell you all about why rear facing is so important, but follow this link and take a few minutes to read this.

http://www.freewebs.com/sacredjourneys/newbornpreschool.htm
    mamalinzie

Answer by mamalinzie at 7:46 AM on Apr. 1, 2009