Help me pick an online school?

I want to get trained in medical billing and coding so I can start working from home, but there are so many websites and ads I don't know where to go or how to get started. Anyone got advice?

nannabart

Asked by nannabart at 9:33 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Money & Work

• go to U.S. Career Institute it's a medical billing and coding DEGREE course not just for a certificate and everything is sent t you in the mail and it's about 49$ a month for 12 months i believe and that includes books. everything is done at your pace and you can have your degree in as little as 12 months. I almost went there but because it's self paced it doesn't count as being a full time student which i need to be to stay on my parents insurance but so it's defiantely a school I would have loved to go to and really inexpensive
    mommy492006

Answer by mommy492006 at 12:46 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I would find out what the national is test is called for coding and then find a site that states it helps prepare you for that. There is a difference between billing and coding--coding is much more involved. My sister took local classes for over a year and the test was tough:-) But she passed and really enjoys it.
    Anonymous

• Thanks for the info ladies. I really helps
    nannabart

Answer by nannabart at 7:29 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Go to AHIMA and AAPC - two organizations for professional coders and coding students. There is an annual membership fee, you can take online courses through them, and then you can take the certification exam at one of their test sites.
    Being a member of a professional organization not only helps you with your education, but also boosts your resume and career.
    AHIMA is my favorite.
    Best wishes to you!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:03 PM on Mar. 31, 2009