is my son behind in what he eats?

My son usually only eats the Gerber cereal (oatmeal and fruit for breakfast and barley and a veggie for lunch and dinner) and the stage 2 fruit and veggie purees. He is 10 months old. Should he be eating more "advanced" stuff? Are these foods to soft for his age? I don't want him to choke, but when he loses his bottle in only 6 weeks I don't want him to be malnurished. How can I catch him up to other babies his age? He has 6 teeth.

jamesmommy12

Asked by jamesmommy12 at 9:51 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just try new things. Even without teeth he could probably gum a lot of stuff. Like the other posts say, try fruit pieces (diced peaches, pears, banana chunks, chunky applesauce), pancakes, pieces of toast, scrambled eggs, pasta noodles, veggies like peas and carrots, etc. My son is 11 and a half months and started eating that stuff at about 9 months. Now he eats everything we eat basically, just in small pieces.
    parkersmama08

Answer by parkersmama08 at 10:19 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• my son is 9months and has no teeth but eats pancakes apple sauce some bread little peices you have to try somewhere
    shames85

Answer by shames85 at 9:56 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Try some food with lumpier textures- like banana chunks, steamed carrot sticks, peas or toast. He may gag, but that doesn't mean he's choking. He's just getting used to eating foods that are not smooth.

How about some small-curd cottage cheese or yo-baby yogurt (if you're doing dairy)?

Anonymous

• my DD is 9 months & eats all sorts of stuff. she is on stage 3 (the dinners have chunks). she only has 2 bottom teeth. i think so long as your son makes chewing motions when he eats he will easily move on to chunkier foods. start w/ soft stuff like bananas. i keep a small cup of water near by just in case my DD chokes. it really helps quell the fears :D
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:17 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I would get him off the baby food and only feed him tablefood.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:50 AM on Mar. 31, 2009