is it ok for my 6 month old to sleep on his stomach ?

lately i been having trouble putting my 6 month old to sleep it seems like the only ting that really works is putting him on his stomach is this safe

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:28 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Many babies have been placed to sleep on their stomachs and have been fine. However, to reduce the risk of SIDS, it is not recommended that infants be placed to sleep on their stomachs. The "Back to Sleep" campaign was started in the early 90's after American researchers related the low SIDS rate in Australia to the Australian custom of placing an infant to sleep on their back. Since launching "Back to Sleep" the American SIDS rate was reduced by about 45%. Does this mean all babies placed on their stomachs will die from SIDS? No. But placing your baby on their back reduces the risk.

It does help that your baby is a little older and can hold her/her head up and has good neck control (I'm guessing due to age). Hopefully if your LO felt suffocated by their positioning against the mattress, they would be able to adjust to breathe better.

I would talk to your doctor about it and see what they say.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:36 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• My sons pediatrian recommended putting him to sleep on his tummy as long as he is supervised like during naps, not all night. Don't just put him in his crib and walk away. It is good for their heads so they don't get a flat spot. Tummy time is also good for that to.
    Fairy_Wings

Answer by Fairy_Wings at 11:27 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• My paed told me aslong as they can hold thier heads up and lift up on thier arms it should be fine... although it is reccomended for them to sleep on their backs.. is your baby needs sleep so what works for you ...s/he is old enough now the highest risk for SIDS is from 2-4 months
    Moma_bear

Answer by Moma_bear at 12:22 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• If your baby can roll both ways on his own I would allow it. If he can't yet then I would continue to put him on his back to sleep.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:28 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Yes it's safe, all my kids were tummy sleepers from the time they were born.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:46 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• i put my LO to sleep on her back all of the time, but eventually she just rolls to her tummy. Its out of our control at this point. Your baby should be just fine if they can, roll, or lift their head, or lift thier chect off of the mattress. good luck mom.
    lovinsophie

Answer by lovinsophie at 10:57 AM on Mar. 31, 2009