What are good plants that don't require too much attention?

I'd like to put something in front of our yard but something that won't take too much time to take care of.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:31 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Home & Garden

• You'll probably laugh at this but - a friend of mine has plastic plants in her yard. They look real unless you get very close to them. I'd say that's about as easy and no fuss as it gets.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 6:17 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Petunias are really good for hot weather. They dont need watered every day (unless you are in a really hot climate) but when yuo do water them, it is okay to turn on the hose and drown them. Periwinkles are the same way.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 10:33 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I bought a box of "wildflowers" at Walmart and they look easy to care for.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 10:46 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Pansies are always easy. It depends on where you live. I like evergreens in the front, and I live in the Pacific Northwest. So I like hellbores, heather, heaths, and rosemary. They're all easy to care for. The hellebores bloom year-round, even in winter. Because of this, they're called "Lenten" or "Christmas" rose.

If you want something bigger, a California lilac is nice-- it's evergreen with little ovular leaves, and produce bunches of little purple flowers. Very cute.

It really depends on what you need-- do you need a groundcover? Something flowering? Something bushy?

I love gardening, so shoot me an email if you need more suggestions!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 10:49 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• impatience
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 11:04 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• lol prttymstng i was going to suggest plastic plants ...thats about as low matainenance as it it gets well either that or none
    dee778

Answer by dee778 at 6:28 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I saw a lady with plastic plants planted in her yard--I thought they looked extremely tacky, but that's JMO

As far as indoor plants, bamboo is extremely easy to care for (no soil, you just need pebbles (you can buy them) to hold down the roots a bit, and water). For outdoor plants, pansies, wildflowers, and sunflowers are pretty simple.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 6:49 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Mexican Heather. It is drought tolerant, blooms all year and is completely care free. I've got some in front of our house and I planted it YEARS ago.
    3timesoccermom

Answer by 3timesoccermom at 8:14 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I kill everything. On that note, cacti and bamboo are good plants that require almost no maintenance.
    bluiidmommy

Answer by bluiidmommy at 8:22 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• In what area do you live?

I live in Texas and I might could make some suggestions if the weather where you live is anything like ours. Some plants can take full-sun and others need a more shady area.
    etexmom

Answer by etexmom at 8:54 AM on Mar. 31, 2009