car seat?

My daughter is 10 months old and she's still in her infant carseat. She's too big for it, her feet hang out so bad that their starting to hit the back of the actual car. I know she's not old enough to be in a forward facing car seat but my friend said that she put her son in a forward facing carseat when he was 11 months old cause he couldn't fit, could i do that with my daughter as well?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it doesnt go by age, it goes my height and weight.. get a carseat that is appropriate for that.
    Anonymous

• It is prettycontroversial but if you call the National Highway Patrol they will tell you it is illegal to face your child forward before they are a year old. Wht you can do is buy a convertable seat and rear face your daughter until she is a year. Then the seat will "convert" to a forward facing toddler seat. Of course, rear facing is 5 times safer and you do not have to turn her around even then!
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 10:41 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• No you can not forward face her..your friend was wrong and looking to kill her child in a car accident.

Now as far as the infant car seat, its only made to last up to about 22lbs and 26-29 inches...there are a few that go to 30lbs and around 30inches but most are lower than that...most kids outgrow infants seats with the lower sizes by 5 months old...get a new seat NOW

Walmart has a seat called a cosco scenera..its only about $40 and can rearface to 30lbs and about 36inches tall, thats around 18-24 months for most kids (and its safest to RF them as long as the seat allows), it only FFs in the harness to 40lbs, but in the meantime you can save for a seat like the Graco Nautilus which will FF in a harness to 65lbs and then becomes a booster to 100lbs. This seat does NOT RF so do not get it yet!! Get the scenera, then the Nautilus if money is an issue...if money is not an issue I recommend the Truefit car seat...
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:47 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• No. Laws in all states are 1 year AND 20 pounds. And no carseat allows you to forward face before then either. There are carseats now that rearface until 35 pounds and around 38 inches. Take full advantage of your child being rearfacing. My son is 2 and a half, he weighs 28 pounds, and his feet touch the back of the seat but he is rearfacing. Check out the carseat safety group here on cafemom for more information on carseat safety.

Also to the previous poster, the scenera rearfaces to 35 pounds. It's a great seat for the money! I bought the true fit for my son with tax money and he still has tons of growing room!
    LukesMommy912

Answer by LukesMommy912 at 11:05 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I got the alpha omegal elite (I think that's it...it's at Toys R us and Babies R us) it goes from read facing to front facing to booster- the only car seat I'll ever need. And I love it! It really isn't that much more conveniant to face them front. And it's safer to keep them facing backwards in a crash. My friends put their kids into a front facing carseat early too, but it IS illegal and I wasn't comfortable with it.
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 11:06 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• you arent suppose to forward face your child until a year old AND 22 lbs... thats the law. i was in the same position you are and i bought an evenflo triumph advance.. it was $139... i read all kinds of reviews and researched every car seat and even though it seems expensive it last til they are 50 lbs... and my son LOVES his car seat... its SOOOOO easy to use and now he loves car rides
    softbalchic2004

Answer by softbalchic2004 at 11:08 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I bought my daughter an Eddie Bauer convertible carseat, because although she is still in the weight limit for the seat, it is so heavy with her in it. The new seat is so much easier. There is no handle constantly in the way and the buckle is so much easier. She can rear face in it up to 35lbs and then she can ff all the way up to 100lbs.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:31 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• A converter seat that will rear-face and front-face was the answer for our LO who was 20 lbs at 6 mos. We knew he had to rear-face for several more months, but wanted one that would forward face when the time came. It didn't make sense for us to get a "forward only" carseat, since it was too early to turn him around, but I didn't want to buy 2 more carseats, so the converter seat just seemed like the smarter choice. There are several good ones to choose from. And yes, it's too early to turn your little one around. But in Texas, it's 12 months and 20 lbs, minimum.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:35 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• It doesn't matter if her feet hit the seat... they are fine. There has never been a case of broken legs due to rear facing and even if there were... it's much better than a broken neck because of early forward facing.
    What matters is her weight she needs to be at or below when the seat says... often times 22 lbs and she needs to have at least 1 inch above her head.
    If she is too big for it you need to buy a convertible car seat to put her in that rear faces.
    The MINIMUM is 1 year and 20 lbs... BUT it is much MUCH safer to keep her rear facing as long as you can... it's best to try to keep her rear facing until she is 35 lbs which might mean she is 3 years old! But her life is the most important right??
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:21 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• BridgetC140
    Bridg...
    I bought my daughter an Eddie Bauer convertible carseat, because although she is still in the weight limit for the seat, it is so heavy with her in it. The new seat is so much easier. There is no handle constantly in the way and the buckle is so much easier. She can rear face in it up to 35lbs and then she can ff all the way up to 100lbs.

I just wanted to mention, in case you did not know, that seats that are RF and FF and go to 100 lbs DO NOT harness to 100lbs. Most harness to 40, some to 50, and then booster to 100.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:01 AM on Mar. 31, 2009