At what age do you NOT need to take a child in for a fever?

My son is 16 months and has a temp. of 102.6 is that enough to bring him in. I want to wait cause he has an appointment on thursday, but my mom keeps bugging me to bring him in.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:39 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If your child is between 3 months and 3 years old and has a fever of 102.2° Fahrenheit (39° Celsius) or higher, call the doctor to see if he or she needs to see your child. For older kids, take behavior and activity level into account. Watching how your child behaves will give you a pretty good idea whether a minor illness is the cause or if your child should be seen by a doctor.

aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 11:09 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Call the doctor, but if tylenol will bring it down, they'll probably have you wait. Or tell you 103 or 104 or whatever the magic # for your doctor is. Lastly, they may say if the fever stays 3 days bring him in, which would be Thursday, right? But calling the dr will put you AND MOM at ease. Love those Granny's!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:19 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Give your child tylenol. Motrin works good for higher fevers and it lasts longer. 102 isn't that bad. As long as the tylenol is bringing the fever down a point, the pediatrician is just going to tell you wait. Unless you notice different behavior than usual. If you're child is drinking fluids and eating there is no real reason to be alarmed. If you give your child tylenol or motrin and the fever doesn't get any better in an hour or it goes up, then yes see your pediatrician right away. My son just went through a fever of 105 for three whole days. The mortin would bring it down to around 103. My son and I had long nights. I did bring him in because his fever at one point didn't go down, but he was fine. He checked with just a virus that we were going to have to ride out (for 4 days). I suggest you give the dosage an hour before recommend to stay ahead of the fever.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:00 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• You don't "need" to at any age unless its a medical emergancy. Read up on what a fever does, and when you should be concerned. Chances are, they won't do anything for him other then give you advice on how to make him comftorble... inthe mean time taking him to the peds office will introduce his immune ssytem to a very high chance of a second infection. Let the fever do its job. 102.5 really isn't that high. As long as he is drinking fluids and is coherant, there really is no need to get worried, or to lower it. Here is a good link to read on... its is pretty short. http://www.essortment.com/family/childhealthwha_sguy.htm
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 2:01 AM on Mar. 31, 2009