Will tearing/being cut while giving birth make my vagina look abnormal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:41 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• lol, sorry, When I was in the hospital recovering from 4th degree tearing, the nurses told me 'honey, just don't look down there for a few months' ... mine looked like roadkill... just take the good advice and do not look. =) I know that is not what you want to hear. The tearing I had was pretty bad though.
    momyo

Answer by momyo at 10:44 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• being cut could. A natural tear heals better, and smoother and from what I have heard you go back to normal afterward. I wouldn't stress. There are things you can do to prevent tearing. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:44 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• with 3rd or 4th degree tears, you really don't want to look down there for awhile lol. If you look at images online, it's awful.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:45 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• OMG WHY did i just google that?! it's not even my QUESTION! how on EARTH do you prevent such things?!
    ourbabykins

Answer by ourbabykins at 10:49 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I don't know I never looked to be honest. I didn't even want the mirror pointed down there...lol

I would ask your Dr. his/her stand on apisiotomy (sp?). My Dr. was totally against it unless it was absolutely necessary. He explained this way: Think of a piece of cloth or a towel. Grab it and try to rip it in half, not so easy. Take that same cloth and make a cut into it then try and rip it...rips real easy! He says the same thing holds true for tissue. So we took the steps necessary to prevent large scale tears and as it was I only had minimal tearing at the time.
    ShutterBug77

Answer by ShutterBug77 at 10:50 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Perineal massage can help prevent tearing, natural birth (non induction especially) can also prevent tearing. Birthing in a more natural position, not on your back, is better for you perineaum and can also prevent tearing! :) (squatting, or all fours are great positions)

celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:10 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I've got some scar tissue and am a little desensitized where I tore but it's not all that noticeable.  Like the PP said, massage will help- unfortunately my idiot Dr. didn't want to bother w/ it...

dannydawna

Answer by dannydawna at 4:22 AM on Mar. 31, 2009