Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any advice would be helpful and appreciated...

I have been living in the same place for almost ten years now and I rent. I very rarely ask my landlord for anything as far as repairs go, I usually do them myself, however my bathtub and surrounding wall is so disgusting and I have to keep recaulking it over and over again. Although I can't say for sure , but I am worried that there is a lot of mold behind the walls because sometimes I can smell a moldy smell while in there. I would like for him to replace both the surrounding tub walls and tub because its all chipped and nasty. I know that they sell kits that fit over existing tub, like bathfitter or some other company. How do I ask my landlord to do this and do you think if he does replace it he should be allowed to raise my rent? I think its a legit request but do you think he has the right to raise my rent every time I get something new?? Help!!!!! Also I have two young children and I don't want them getting sick

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Home & Garden

Answers (1)
  • If there is mold, then getting something fitted over it is not going to take care of the problem. I'm sorry. But if you have been renting the same place for 10 years, you would think that the landlord would be more considerate of you and your family. I can't see a landlord raising the rent for something that is foundational. If it was a problem that you caused then that would be a reason to raise the rent. After 10 years, I would definitely try searching for a new, more healthy place. Mold is a hard problem to treat, and can sometimes be deadly... GOOD LUCK!

    Answer by pamelajqs at 10:51 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.