car seat safety

How many of you Mom's practice extended rear facing with your children when they ride in the car? I am planning on this for my son and I need ideas on how to explain to people why I do it.

jamesmommy12

Asked by jamesmommy12 at 10:51 PM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I plan too... my on is only 8 months but I have already talked to my family about it. I just told them he will be rear facing until he outgrows his convertible because it is what it safest.... if they ask why then I tell them about the spine not being mature and the risk of internal decapitation... and they usually don't say anything more about it :)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:15 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Statistics show that it's the safest way to drive with a baby :-)
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 11:03 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I am planning on it too. I was recently in a car accident with my daughter with me. When I took her to the doctor he told me it was good having her rear facing because I jerked forward and it bruised my chest, but my daughter jerked backwards because of rear facing and was perfectly fine. It eases the impact for them if you were to get in an accident. Having them face towards the rear for as long as possible could possibly save their life one day.
    Haidens_Mama

Answer by Haidens_Mama at 11:04 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Honestly, if anyone asks why I ERF, I'd just say because he's my kid, and I feel its safer for him. Plain and simple, and not mean.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:20 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Those are all great ideas. Thanks everyone!
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 11:47 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• http://www.kyledavidmiller.org/
    Read that link. It has great information about the benefits of extended rear facing.
    My son is 15 months old and still rear facing. If you need to explain it to people I've found the best way to get your point across is two words: Internal Decapitation. That is what can happen to young children in a car accident if they are not rear facing. It is horrifying. When rear facing the head is cradled by the car seat shell in a front impact accident (which is the most likely to cause injury due to high speed) If the child is forward facing the force of the accident pulls the head forward and the only thing supporting it is the spinal cord, which can snap easily. :( I will definitely be keeping my kiddo rear facing until he's 35 lbs or too tall.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 11:55 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I find people get overly defensive if you tell them the truth. Because they don't want to do it themselves, I guess. So my reason? He's within the height and weight limits, he likes it, and he is a lot more comfortable if he falls asleep rear facing, not to mention that he's safer that way anyway (saying that last bit casually so as not to have them down my throat).
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 1:04 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I didn't do it, but why should you have to explain it to anyone? He's your son, not theirs...a simple "because we do" should suffice.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:13 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I have my 29 month old rear facing yet a long with my 10 month old. If anyone ever asked I'd say cause I want him that way. lol I dont need to explain myself to anyone. I have told people off for telling me their 6 month old was ff and then gave her the fact though. :)
    kristinlimon

Answer by kristinlimon at 7:39 AM on Mar. 31, 2009